Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Matte Black Vinyl Wrap

Old 07-29-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I do in GA. I have had a screech go down my jeep with a treelimb. Left a mark on wrap, but didn't tear it. Cool thing is didn't scratch paint. Have carried it though mud, and woods that would hurt your feelings on a new vehicle even if it is a jeep. Remove wrap, no scratches at all. The only way you can tell it has been through such stuff is by telling someone. If you have a good shop use high end materials, you will have no issues on shrinking. Removal is fairly easy up to 5 years. They have many gloss and matte colors available. I would recommend highly. Wheel your vehicle for several years, remove wrap and look like new.

Also on a price note, 800 does not cover the cost of materials. Granted a jeep does not take as much, but labor is the biggest expense. We charge 1800 to 2000 depending on how much you remove before we get started. A Good shop should have out in week or less. Also " you get what you pay for" may not be true. You pay for what you you deserve. Always look at a vehicle that is a customer of the shop, not a shop vehicle, it is always there and a sneeky shop has plenty of time to work on it. I highly recommend this, but be careful. As with any shop you have your good and bad. Its up to you to make the right choice.

Sorry for the book, but wanted to educate some of you on this. Go to photobucket and look for ybugly there are some photos there of what we have done as well as uglysigns.com if I could answer any questions, pm me. I will be happy to answer them

Last edited by ybugly; 07-29-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: updating info
Old 07-29-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120729_222803.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	347321

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120729_222836.jpg
Views:	767
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	347322

This is mine. A silver .no i didnt go crazy on door jams and such. Cant tell its silver til you open something. I change every couple years to keep people looking
Old 07-29-2012, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

I just want to see more pictures but I guess that is to hard

You just joined and you have had this wrap for a minute but you can't post anymore pictures but that one crappy one and why do you have your lights on in the daytime
Old 08-09-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jaker t5

You just joined and you have had this wrap for a minute but you can't post anymore pictures but that one crappy one and why do you have your lights on in the daytime
I will try to post some pics over the weekend. Been very busy w/ work.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaker t5

Lol man dude sounds like you have a personal problem with this guy lol..
Old 08-09-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys - haven't posted in a while since I rolled my JK and said goodbye to it, but I've got the itch again so I've been watching the forums - I figured I'd chime in on this one as I've got some experience with vinyl wraps.

I work for a company that does transit advertising (mostly buses) up and down the east coast. I handle the graphic design and production of all of our wraps and wrap like products, and I've done a few smaller installs myself.

For a high quality material, with a high quality install, $2,200 is a pretty good rate IMO. You can absolutely try to do this yourself, but personally, if it was my JK i'd want it done perfect and I'd be will to spend a bit extra to get it that way.

As for vinyl quality, it really is all relative to the price point of the material your using. Most materials can vary from being rated for 1 year, to 5+ and the price goes up accordingly. The vinyl itself is fairly durable but you're likely to see scratches similar to what you'd see on a flat/matte paint job. The good news is, you can remove all the scratches with the vinyl in a few years if you'd like. *Also - A "1-year" vinyl can leave adhesive behind if you leave it up longer than its rated for and may cost you more in the long run!

As for the installation, a bad install will start to bubble and peel immediately. A good installation, even with cheap vinyl will last much longer, and a good install, with high quality vinyl with last even longer.

If you'd like to wrap a Jeep for as little money as possible, and price is your only concern, i'm sure you can get it done with low end vinyl and (installing yourself) for a grand or so - that being said in 3 or 4 weeks or 6 to 12 months later you might be kicking yourself when you wrap starts to bubble and peel. But if you'd look for a temporary change of "clothes" for you jeep, this might be an ok idea. If you'd looking for a more permanent solution - spend a bit more cash, but because its a wrap, not paint it isn't going to be completely permanent.

Hope this helps! I'll try to check back later in the day incase there are any other things I can help on!

Dave

Last edited by Davep22; 08-09-2012 at 05:27 AM. Reason: *adding in a sentence.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will be wrapping a silver jku in gray, silver, black camo! When done ill post pics.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Davep22
Hey guys - haven't posted in a while since I rolled my JK and said goodbye to it, but I've got the itch again so I've been watching the forums - I figured I'd chime in on this one as I've got some experience with vinyl wraps.

I work for a company that does transit advertising (mostly buses) up and down the east coast. I handle the graphic design and production of all of our wraps and wrap like products, and I've done a few smaller installs myself.

For a high quality material, with a high quality install, $2,200 is a pretty good rate IMO. You can absolutely try to do this yourself, but personally, if it was my JK i'd want it done perfect and I'd be will to spend a bit extra to get it that way.

As for vinyl quality, it really is all relative to the price point of the material your using. Most materials can vary from being rated for 1 year, to 5+ and the price goes up accordingly. The vinyl itself is fairly durable but you're likely to see scratches similar to what you'd see on a flat/matte paint job. The good news is, you can remove all the scratches with the vinyl in a few years if you'd like. *Also - A "1-year" vinyl can leave adhesive behind if you leave it up longer than its rated for and may cost you more in the long run!

As for the installation, a bad install will start to bubble and peel immediately. A good installation, even with cheap vinyl will last much longer, and a good install, with high quality vinyl with last even longer.

If you'd like to wrap a Jeep for as little money as possible, and price is your only concern, i'm sure you can get it done with low end vinyl and (installing yourself) for a grand or so - that being said in 3 or 4 weeks or 6 to 12 months later you might be kicking yourself when you wrap starts to bubble and peel. But if you'd look for a temporary change of "clothes" for you jeep, this might be an ok idea. If you'd looking for a more permanent solution - spend a bit more cash, but because its a wrap, not paint it isn't going to be completely permanent.

Hope this helps! I'll try to check back later in the day incase there are any other things I can help on!

Dave
Thanks Dave for the informative post. Any suggestions on a good wash/wax product? The black matte is very difficult to keep clean. I found a good wax made by Swissvax specifically designed for matte finishes but it's very costly ($300/can). Appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks, Mike
Old 08-09-2012, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jkrgv
I will be wrapping a silver jku in gray, silver, black camo! When done ill post pics.
Definitely post a pic. That sounds really cool.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ybugly
Attachment 347321

Attachment 347322

This is mine. A silver .no i didnt go crazy on door jams and such. Cant tell its silver til you open something. I change every couple years to keep people looking
Nice job!!

Quick Reply: Matte Black Vinyl Wrap