Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Manual to auto swap?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1000 k swap

[/I][/I]
Originally Posted by Ken Jong Il
Ive been going back and forth on the benefits of both tranny's. This is the first time I've had a manual in a Jeep and I thought it would be a good change of pace but now I'm over it. I should be able to pull off the swap for less than a $1000 and now I have my heart set on proving everybody wrong that it can't be done. I finally got some straight answers out of Chyrsler on what needs to be done with the PCM and SCM modules on the JK to make the swap legit and I'm going to do it. I also picked the brains of the guys at COP 4x4 and they've reassured me that I'm on the right track and they'll assist me with whatever road blocks I encounter. It's actually going to be an extremely easy and I'm super stoked about it
Did you get a used auto tranny?
Old 08-17-2010, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Jong Il
The hole is already in your floor but it's covered by the auto tranny shifter sled. Once u swap out the shifter sleds the hole will be exposed and the manual shifter fits right through. The clutch pedal just pins into the bracket that the brake pedal is attached to. I've looked at both manual and auto equipped JK's and all the stuff is there and ready for the swap.
would i have to pull the whole motor and transmission out or could i use a car lift and lift my jeep and and use a transmission jack to pull the transmission out without ever taking the engine out?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by barnettd
[/I][/I]

Did you get a used auto tranny?
I scored a automatic tranny with 20K miles on it, with a torque converter, new tranny mount, dip stick and tube, all the sensors, and the housing extension for $500.
I'm getting hooked up with a wiring harness and some of the other interioir pieces for dirt cheap as well. The most expensive part I'll have to buy brand new is the new PCM, but that's only $240
Old 08-20-2010, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dlincoln91
would i have to pull the whole motor and transmission out or could i use a car lift and lift my jeep and and use a transmission jack to pull the transmission out without ever taking the engine out?
I'll be leaving the engine in mine for the swap
Old 09-16-2010, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by barnettd
I should be able to pull off the swap for less than a $1000 and now I have my heart set on proving everybody wrong that it can't be done. I finally got some straight answers out of Chyrsler on what needs to be done with the PCM and SCM modules on the JK to make the swap legit and I'm going to do it.

How can you do it for less than a $1000.00, I'd thought the auto tranny was more than that alone...
I lied. So far I've spent $1300 on parts including the tranny. The only thing I have left to buy is the center console which suprisingly is only $80 for all the pieces required. Still worth it in my opinion, plus it's cheaper in the long run versus getting upside down on payments for a trade in.

Anyone want all the fixings for a Auto - Manual swap?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Tranny conversion complete
Old 10-15-2010, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

do you have a complete list of required parts you can share?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hellazuki
do you have a complete list of required parts you can share?
I can put a list together for you. Give me a couple days and I'll post it up and I'll PM it to you

Last edited by Ken Jong Il; 10-18-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

awesome thanks alot. starting to talk the wife into it lol.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is - WHY!

Quick Reply: Manual to auto swap?