Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Manual to auto swap?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual to auto swap?

I'm mainly just curious, but has anyone done a manual to auto swap on a jk and or is it possible? Would the computer have a cow or would it accept it?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

It would certainly be possible. As far as the computer goes, you would have to reflash.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

As far as the reflash, does that mean the opposite is true and if I want to go manual I just need the physical equipment and then have someone flash the ECU? Is that something the dealer would have to do? My local dealer has monkeys working in the back that I wouldn't trust to make a PBNJ sandwich.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 5 speed automatic?

Yep, I have a question about automatics but this thread is giving me a clue. I wasn't impressed with the auto JK and bought the 6spd man... but I was curious if there were any good automatics that could be swapped into it.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by barnettd
Yep, I have a question about automatics but this thread is giving me a clue. I wasn't impressed with the auto JK and bought the 6spd man... but I was curious if there were any good automatics that could be swapped into it.
same here .. ime not impressed with my auto but I just dont like shifting alot. that being said I would not be opposed to finding a 6speed auto to put in mine.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by akseminole
I'm mainly just curious, but has anyone done a manual to auto swap on a jk and or is it possible? Would the computer have a cow or would it accept it?
according to your bio you alreaddy have an auto so who is this question for?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 PM
JK Super Freak

this has been brought up in the past and there would be allot more involved. allot of the wiring has to be changed as well as a ton of other stuff, it gets to the point where it wouldn't be worth it. swapping to a manual while doing a HEMI is only "easy" because your pulling all the crap out anyway
Old 08-03-2010, 02:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

unless someone has a heavily modified rig already it seems more cost effective to just sell and go out and get an auto equipped unit...

there are so many factors to deal with though in trying to install an auto not made for the JK to the original engine..

will it mate to the engine?
is there software for the computer to run it? the stock PCM drives a 4 speed auto.. where would the routine calls in the software be for a 5 speed auto? would require complete custom PCM build..

tailshaft length and whether it will mate to the transfer case...

width of the bell and the trans itself...

lots and lots of factors to do the swap in a Modern vehicle...

not like doing it in an older vehicle where it was just a matter of cutting , bending, and welding to make it fit...

the software factor is tough... I have done a lot of ECM / PCM hacking over the years. but I wouldnt want to have to add complete routines to drive another gear effectively...

-Christopher
Old 08-03-2010, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

It can be done and I'm actually working on getting the parts together for the swap as we speak. I'll keep u posted
Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

Just got a smoking deal on a automatic tranny w/ 20k miles on it. The torque coverter, housing extension, dip stick, isolator block, and crossmember mount were included. When I get the rest of the parts together I'll begin the "show and tell" thread so I can put all the doubt about a manual-auto swap to rest.

Quick Reply: Manual to auto swap?