Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Manual to Auto Conversion

Old 08-08-2016, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did run into an issue the first round as I thought the donor vehicle was a 2010 when infact it was a 2008. It appears the wiring harness in 2008 was completely different then the other years. So, if you plan on doing this you have to do it in this order.

First, Identify a PCM via the vin number. You want to find a PCM from the exact year and configuration of your jeep. If you can find one with a close serial number to yours, the better off you are.

Once you have your PCM, then you have to send it off to have the VIN number updated so it matches your jeep. Plenty of places will do that. Just google PCM performance reprogramming and they will pop up.

Once you have that, then you call jeep and order a wiring harness based on the vin number of the donor vehicle of your PCM. That way you are guaranteed to mach the harness to the PCM. Your sensors are the same for all Jks, so no worries there.

If you do it in that order, you will be fine. Unless of course you get hit by lightening in which case you are screwed.
Old 08-10-2016, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
I did run into an issue the first round as I thought the donor vehicle was a 2010 when infact it was a 2008. It appears the wiring harness in 2008 was completely different then the other years. So, if you plan on doing this you have to do it in this order.

First, Identify a PCM via the vin number. You want to find a PCM from the exact year and configuration of your jeep. If you can find one with a close serial number to yours, the better off you are.

Once you have your PCM, then you have to send it off to have the VIN number updated so it matches your jeep. Plenty of places will do that. Just google PCM performance reprogramming and they will pop up.

Once you have that, then you call jeep and order a wiring harness based on the vin number of the donor vehicle of your PCM. That way you are guaranteed to mach the harness to the PCM. Your sensors are the same for all Jks, so no worries there.

If you do it in that order, you will be fine. Unless of course you get hit by lightening in which case you are screwed.
Thanks for the write-up! You did a great job. Any up-dates on the jeep? Hope you got the lighting problem figured out.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:25 AM
JK Super Freak

I filed a claim and the insurance company wants me to go through a garage. I found a place that has experience with engine swaps and superchargers so I figured they will do it right. I did convince the insurance company to let me find a new PCM and have it programmed. This is the most importance piece. I am ok with letting the garage validate the wiring and sensors. Unfortunately, this won't be done in time for my vacation so we are taking my wife's jeep. Her's sits on 35's with a 2 inch lift. So, jeeping will remian mild. That said, who cares, what's important is to be out in the open air with my lovely wife!!!!
Old 08-12-2016, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2climbbig
That said, who cares, what's important is to be out in the open air with my lovely wife!!!!
Couldn't agree more!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

I have done a auto to manual conversion on a 2008. I am still struggling with the electronics. Is there a difference between a 4 door and 2 door PCM? My electronics expert have me searching for a 4 door one which is scarcer than hen`s teeth in South Africa.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

I did this to a Honda civic once lol

Quick Reply: Manual to Auto Conversion