Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Manual to Auto Conversion

Old 05-24-2016, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual to Auto Conversion

Well, I plan on turning my jeep from a Manual to an Auto. I am doing it for a couple of reasons. Primary reason is my knee is going bad and an Auto will be easier to manage. I have been debating it for about a year. That said, my manual gave up the soul and they are wanting $3,400 to fix it. basically it granaded and destroyed everything. I would need new gears, syncro's ,primary and secondary shafts, forks, and bearings. I believe I could buy a rebuild for much less.

That said, I have my excuse to move to an auto with the wife. Since my 3 link suspension is attached to the transmission cross brace, I went ahead and modified my LCA mounting points as the old ones were ugly as hell. My starting point is better off than most as I have an engine from a 2010 Jeep wrangler with only 50 miles on it. I have been holding on in anticipation of needing a new engine since my current engine is burning about a Qt of oil every 1000 miles. The new engine comes attached to the tranny, has the entire wiring harness intact, and all of the accessories including the ac compressor (which I will hold on to). So basically, I brand new drive train.

So far this is what I have had to buy...
Used Sled (Auto Shifter)..................... $50
New Shift cable..................................$98
New shift cable bracket.......................$8
Transmission mount............................$54
New Center console base and bezel.......$150
Used PCM from an Auto 2007 JK...........$140
Programming the PCM to match VIN......$200

Two weekends ago I pulled the axle out, and pulled the engine/transmission out separately.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160512_151641_resized.jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	647874

I removed the supper charger off my old engine and set-up the new engine with the SC.

Here is a picture of the valves of the new engine when I switched the valve covers around. She is clean!

Name:	20160513_100933.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	906.0 KB
ID:	647875

I rolled the new engine under the jeep and I will lift it into place once the parts arrive.

Name:	20160520_152250.jpg
Views:	1549
Size:	1,005.6 KB
ID:	647876

I took the exhaust manifold off so I can pull the engine/tranny up between the engine mount brackets on the frame rails. My biggest concern is around the wiring harness and the PCM. Since this came off of a 2010 and my jeep is a 2007, I worry the harnesses may be wired differently. Only time will tell.

Last edited by 2climbbig; 05-27-2016 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Got Programming price
Old 05-28-2016, 08:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Well, my wife went out for 3 hours so I decided to try and get the engine on its mounts in that window.

I have took some pictures of my progress. I did not run into any real issues expect that my crane is not long enough. I end up using a jack to push the motor back so I can get it aligned with the mounts.

The engine is too far forward so I wedged a scissors jack between the front cross member and the jeep.

Name:	halfway there.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	979.2 KB
ID:	648173

Got it in after about 2 hours of jacking around with it.

Name:	Engine is in.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	842.5 KB
ID:	648172

As you can see, I still have a lot of plumbing to do

Name:	plumming.jpg
Views:	776
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	648174

Moved the center console box to the new base. Its going to look complete out of place being new.

Name:	console.jpg
Views:	817
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	648171

I hope that the wiring will be just as easy especially with the PCM. I am a bit worried about it as I just don't know if the wiring harness from a 2010 is the same as 2007. Only time will tell. I am hoping I get to work on it on Monday but the forecast is calling for rain.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

This is SWEET! Ive been contemplating doing this on my current project.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:31 PM
JK Newbie

Nice!
Old 06-04-2016, 06:31 PM
JK Super Freak

I got to spend about 6 hours on my jeep today. I made good progress. Got the new auto tranny mount and put it on. Added the exhaust manifold, added the spark plug wires, added the supercharger, and connected the radiator hoses.

Name:	Supercharger.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	648820

The transmission mount on the auto is different then a manual and it mounts backwards in comparison. And the metal collar is a dealer item.

While connecting my shifter cable, I saw this yellow harness not connected to anything. It sits just to the right of the transmission return cooling line.If anyone knows what it is, can you please tell me. I am stumped.

Name:	Unknown Harness.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	747.6 KB
ID:	648821

Last edited by 2climbbig; 06-04-2016 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Figured out what the yellow harness was for (O2 Sensor) thanks to a friend with a 09 jk. But I have run into a bigger problem. I was under the assumption my donor vehicle was from a 2010 Jeep (that is what I was told). it turns out it came out of a 2008 jeep. So of course when I went to turn on the jeep, I had 12 codes go off. So, all the planning in the world was short lived due to Murphy's law and the old saying "measure twice cut once." All my assumptions was based on a 2010. It appears in 2008, they used a harness and PCM from another vehicle and changed back in 2009. Just my luck!

So now I am in a bit of a delima. Do I change out my wiring harness to match my PCM or do I change out the PCM to match my harness. The PCM is more expensive and more risk around compatibility and the wiring harness will take longer to install but less risk. I will most likely change out the harness...

Last edited by 2climbbig; 06-07-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

wow lol. that would be frustrating, dont let it stop you though!
Old 06-12-2016, 01:27 PM
JK Super Freak

We have success!!! :thumb sup::bee r:

At least from a wiring harness perspective. Ok, the new wiring harness was a success. Engine turned over with no codes. I went ahead and installed the supercharger program and turned it over one more time and all was good.

I have not validated shift points yet as I still have to put the front axle back in and figure out how to install the shifter/sled. While the axle is out, I plan on adding a suck-down winch for the front axle. In a couple of weeks I will be back with a wrap up of all the details in case someone else wants to attempt it. I haven't seen much interest with this one so I am assuming most won't attempt this. But if you do, at least you have a starting point.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Well, After I was done with the build I drove it a few times to make sure all was well before I put the finishing touches on it. July 4th I woke up with the loudest thunder ever. Lightening hit my pool and took out all of my electronics in the house... at least that is what I thought. I had plans to go to Colorado so I was getting my jeep ready. When I went to take it to be services (oil change), I noticed that my check engine light was on. I put my reader to it and found 16 error codes. All kinds of crazy stuff. I called my computer guy and explained to him what was going on and he asked... did you get hit my lightening. Well crap!!!!

So, I am down a jeep and a vacation.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That's quite the undertaking you've got there. So the motor swap itself wasn't too bad? And how about doing a new harness to match the PCM? There was a guy who put a 2011 motor into his 2007 and also had small hiccups with the wiring like you did.

Quick Reply: Manual to Auto Conversion