Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

LS Engined JK's

Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Engined JK's

Has anyone here ever swap their 3.8 with an LS engine? Would it be a lot easier to swap with a Hemi than an Ls? The reason I'm asking is I am given the chance to buy a pretty new LS 5.3 from my friend for a great price.

Thanks

Matt
Old 06-27-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Issue I've read is all the wiring is a PITA when a Hemi is almost plug and play.

Anything can be done though.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mo Tech Performance is doing LS engine conversions in JK's
Old 06-27-2011, 11:23 PM
JK Newbie

as a former LS-junkie, I'm a firm believer that the LS series was the best motor platform.. EVER. the power output of these things is INCREDIBLE, especially with a cam and some worked over heads. I'm just not that impressed with the Hemi motors, if they're so great, how come you never see them at the track? my dad's dodge has had many problems over the years with waterpumps, headgaskets, sensors, etc and he religiously follows the maintenance schedule. I've NEVER had to touch my LS motors other then when i upgraded parts due to wanting more power. The main problem that you'll run into with the LS motor is that you'll have to run a chevy transmission and in turn, a chevy transfer case. i dont know of any adapter kits for a chevy to jeep transmission. it sure would be sweet to have the option to bolt up a 5.7 aluminum block LS6 to a jeep 6 speed manual transmission with the rubicon 4.1 tcase. Actually, my dream build would be a HCI LS6 through a 6 speed, with toyota dual cases with 4.7 gears in the rear case. now that'd be awesome in a 2dr JK.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

an adapter can be made, and i bet you could use a t56 transmission. any package out of a gto or corvette would work
Old 06-28-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenB1010
Mo Tech Performance is doing LS engine conversions in JK's

.....yes, go on.......

Old 06-28-2011, 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GM truck crowd was very interested in the T56 tranny swap behind their LS motors -- BUT, even the 2wd short bed trucks couldn't keep clutches in them, so I'm not sure how well they'd hold up in a wheeled Jeep.

Granted, this is back about 5 years ago when I was also heavily into the LS series engine modding. The truck crowd was pulling the T56's out of the last generation Camaros and Firebirds. And, they were hitting them pretty hard at the track. Clutches may have improved since then.

For autos, 4L80E's can be build to handle lots of power. Even the 4L60/65E's can handle a good amount - I would think up to around 400, maybe 450 crank hp in our rig, and will sap less power.

There is an insane amount of tuning parts available, and lots of standalone controllers for custom applications like street rods and resto-mods..

Last edited by yo_marc; 06-28-2011 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:08 PM
JK Freak

Check out Jeep Speed Shop - they have been working on an LS swap. They are only offering it as an in house swap now, but they might be able to give you some pointers.

JD
Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have LS in one of my JK's it fits in perfectly. If you want smog you will have to go to a professional shop. I've seen other LS and the shop does real nice work.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Got one in mine. Its running but not on the street yet. SPS made my harness.