Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Lower Cost Hemi Conversion?

Old 03-30-2010, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, for those of you that have done the swap yourself...
I'm no professional mechanic, but I've worked on cars for years. I've done suspension, brakes, electronics, and I've replaced just about anything under a hood at some point. However, I've never done an engine swap, and this is my first jeep.
That said, are the instrucions good enough that someone of my skill level could do this? I'm seriously considering doing this in a few years.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

JK Rocker,

You'll have no problem.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

Ok, so what engine is typically used? A truck Hemi or CG/Commander? Also, doesn't it need to be the same year as your JK or newer to be legal?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BLKRUBI
Ok, so what engine is typically used? A truck Hemi or CG/Commander? Also, doesn't it need to be the same year as your JK or newer to be legal?
It is my understanding that either can be used, but the GC/Commander engine has the pulleys, pumps, alternator, etc. already mounted in the correct places to fit properly into the Wrangler engine compartment. The truck engine would then require extra work to relocate some parts.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK Rocker
So, for those of you that have done the swap yourself...
I'm no professional mechanic, but I've worked on cars for years. I've done suspension, brakes, electronics, and I've replaced just about anything under a hood at some point. However, I've never done an engine swap, and this is my first jeep.
That said, are the instrucions good enough that someone of my skill level could do this? I'm seriously considering doing this in a few years.
You will not have any issues. If you can get access to a lift to pull the body, its really not hard at all. I did motor R&Rs on older vettes and this was not that much harder - in some ways easier. I posted a lot of my information in this thread (and others) https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/6-1l-hemi-conversion-112143/

The only issues I had were welding (I had a friend do that) and figuring out how to unlock those damn electrical connectors! The real key to a smooth swap is planning, planning and more planning. I downloaded every section of the online Jeep service manual I thought I would need. And the sections for the 5.7L engine. A couple came in handy when I got stuck or needed a specific torgue setting. If you use the AEV kit, you just follow the steps and it all comes together. If you have a question, AEV is awesome for tech support. (There are or were a few steps missing from the instructions when I did mine - I think they have fixed that.) As I said in my other post, the hard parts are not what you think - lifting the motor (no lifting eyes!) is one issue. Making the final wiring changes at the computer (AEV kit) is another, until you figure out what AEV is talking about - yes those wires are really numbered! Allow yourself plenty of time and set up a discount with the parts person at your local Jeep dealer. You will be needing them for this swap! Just do it!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLKRUBI
The commander/gc motors have the right configuration for the pulleys. You can use other hemi's but you may need to swap an alternator or a/c compressor out to get the right configuration.

You can use a truck motor as I know others who have done it but I don't know the exact things that need to be changed.

If you find a smoking deal on a 5.7 with no accessories it's really no big deal. You can order all that stuff online and then you'll be assured that you'll have no problems with the accessories b/c you'll have new parts with the right part numbers.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by thebigtman
The commander/gc motors have the right configuration for the pulleys. You can use other hemi's but you may need to swap an alternator or a/c compressor out to get the right configuration.

You can use a truck motor as I know others who have done it but I don't know the exact things that need to be changed.

If you find a smoking deal on a 5.7 with no accessories it's really no big deal. You can order all that stuff online and then you'll be assured that you'll have no problems with the accessories b/c you'll have new parts with the right part numbers.
Thanks! the accessories are now problem. I am Parts director for a group of three dealerships and CDJ is one of them!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:46 AM
JK Super Freak

A certain company that shall go nameless in this post that I met in Hot Springs quoted me $27,000 dollars to do a 6.1 Hemi. I already knew the average I had seen from here was around 20k, so I was like wow... that is pricey. For that price I would much rather cruise out to Phoenix and have my homeboy Camp do it for 19k. But then again, I am not even near being able to afford any Hemi upgrade. I will say I was really impressed with the cat that did it himself in his own shop. Good job man. Wish I could turn a wrench like that.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jeepspeed told me 10,500. They were in the next room over in my hotel at Moab. They have low mileage hemi's.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

How could they do a hemi conversion for less than 10 grande?

Quick Reply: Lower Cost Hemi Conversion?