Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Lower Cost Hemi Conversion?

Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i 100% agree with this. Things can be done pretty quickly when you know what you're doing. Espeacially when the crew isn't busy playing grab ass with the counter help, or taking a coffe break every hour and a half.
The first coil spring lift kit i installed took me less time than my local shop said it would take them, (and they have a lift!... i was doing all this with a POS floor jack and some stands) AEV has unlimited resources when it comes to their shop... i bet they could do it even quicker if they had to!

Originally Posted by Jeepnboy
I am not seeing the problem with the idea that a group of guys that do these conversions for a living could have this down to a 12 hour project.

Couple of examples.

#1 - The first time I did a clutch on my CJ it probably took me an entire weekend in the garage, between figuring out how to get the thrust washer out to extracting the broken bolts. Years later, I could drop my transmission in the camp ground in Moab, replace a fork in the tranny and be back wheeling in 3 hours. Let's just say, I had dropped that tranny a few times... I am not a fast wrench by any means, but when you have done a specific task so many times, it simply goes faster.

#2 - I have an old friend who I claim is the best mechanic I know, specifically on mopar products. The first night I met him, he arrived at the high school autoshop at 6:30pm in an dodge truck. He dropped the auto tranny, pulled it completely apart and rebuilt the entire thing and drove it home. Autoshop closed at 9pm. I still wonder how this was possible, but I watched him disbelief.

12 Hours with 2 or 3 experienced hands who do this job everyday, very reasonable in my opinion.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if the HEMI swap really can be done in 2 days by a team of pros like SCL, AEV, Burnsville, ... that knows what they are doing and will get it right the first time, then that does warrant some sort of premium for the service beyond the usual hourly shop rate.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlejon
AEV has it down to 16 hours in a parking lot of MOAB durring EJS while they are answering spectator questions. They can and do get them done in 12 hours or less in the shop with 2 to 3 tech working on them at a time.
I missed it when they did the conversion in the parkly lot, but heard about it. Did they remove the body on this one?
Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinlock
So if the HEMI swap really can be done in 2 days by a team of pros like SCL, AEV, Burnsville, ... that knows what they are doing and will get it right the first time, then that does warrant some sort of premium for the service beyond the usual hourly shop rate.
YOu pay book time, not actual time. My buddy does turbo swaps in Audi S4's. Book time is 8 hours, his tiny little hands can do it in 4. He charges 6 hours.

Should you take a pay cut because you're good at what you do?
Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rcwade
YOu pay book time, not actual time. My buddy does turbo swaps in Audi S4's. Book time is 8 hours, his tiny little hands can do it in 4. He charges 6 hours.

Should you take a pay cut because you're good at what you do?
That's a very good point. If you master something and can do it quicker (like camp crocker probably has with the hemi swaps) why would you charge less for the same quality work?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by deanthemachine04
That's a very good point. If you master something and can do it quicker (like camp crocker probably has with the hemi swaps) why would you charge less for the same quality work?
That is exactly my point. I think a highly proficient shop should charge the same or maybe a premium for their ability to do a complex and possible lengthy job if they do it right in less time.

In my experience, this is the type of job where you get a time estimate of a week to 10 days and 3 weeks later they are still making excuses. If I can drop my Jeep off on Monday morning and drive it home on Wednesday afternoon in perfect working order, I am willing to pay a higher price.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 PM
JK Junkie

some how these guys use a truck hemi instead of a GC or commander one
Old 03-18-2010, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I echo what Randy had to say about the AEV kit. If you have the cajones to tear it apart, it's really not that tough.

You can do a hemi swap for a lot less than $10K. Randy did and I did as well.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by maverick
My local shop is indicating they can perform a HEMI-conversion for much less... even under the $14k,
Who would that be?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by thebigtman
I echo what Randy had to say about the AEV kit. If you have the cajones to tear it apart, it's really not that tough.

You can do a hemi swap for a lot less than $10K. Randy did and I did as well.
Cajones is key operative word. However, in think they are not needed take anything apart , but to have faith that you can reassemble everything correctly after the fact.

My hats off to those that have done their own swap.

Quick Reply: Lower Cost Hemi Conversion?