Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Lower Cost Hemi Conversion?

Old 12-11-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westchester
Respect !!! I've this in mind for next year, wrenching at home. Couple of questions if u don't mind...

Did u fab the engine mounts ?
And how much or many small annoying items (brackets, wires, heat shielding, whatever) were needed to be fabbed or bought separately from the kit to complete ? Cheers

The engine mounts and trans mounts are included in the AEV conversion kit. The great thing about both is that they are near idiot-proof. The engine mounts line up on holes in the frame rails. Clamp them, tack weld, double check and adjust, and weld them one. It's very easy to get it right.

As for additional items not in the kit, surprisingly, I think I only made two or three trips to the auto-parts store. Besides fluids, I think I needed some additional hose for the trans cooler and power steering cooler and clamps. That may have been about it.

My install did require some additional work, though. I have a Full Traction 4" long arm lift. I bought the AEV conversion kit with the exhaust. The ears on the trans cross-member wouldn't allow the exhaust cross-over to fit as designed. My solution was to move the ears outboard about 1.5 inches (sawzall, grinder, and welder to the rescue). Also, due to the lift kit, I modified the trans mount to retain the use of the Full Traction corssmember skid plate.

If you don't have a long arm lift, I think you'll need very little outside what the kit provides. It's very complete and I highly recommend it.

-Randy
Old 12-26-2009, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tcodtj
AEV told me that they had the install down to 12 hrs. If labor is around 5000.00 that would be just over 400. per hr labor.
that has to be 12 hours from start to finish with multiple techs working on it. there are plenty of ways to have 4 to 6 people working at the same time.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camp Crocker
12 hours, mind if I ask who you talked to up there with those guys? Seeing that they pushed into and out of sema their new 5.7 install 2 months ago, love to talk to the guys that laid that line on you buddy
The got a 5.7 done at EJS in one long day with multiple techs. I think as far as labor hours goes it is closer to 40 labor hours than just one guy doing it all in 12.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HAOLE
I can't believe people are paying more than $5k in labor for an engine swap I will be buying the AEV kit and sourcing my own engine/tran and doing the swap in my garage next year. I should be around the $10k mark when it is all said and done.
Yup, I am guessing for the 5.7VVT motor, new gentreg 6 speed and the AEV kit I will be out ~10-12K and I can do all the install. I would NEVER pay $5K in labor alone, its just not worth that as the only difficult part would be the cutting/welding of the motor mounts. Everything else is designed as a bolt on application.

I hope to have my hemi installed within the next year or two.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sdhexpert
What you are forgetting is most of these shops get 20-30% off the parts from the dealer .... Hell even my local Jeep club get 20% off retail, my local low volume installer gets 30% .... then add on the wholesale AEV discount ... 20-30% maybe (really guessing here, hell may be more) and now their parts cost is considerably less.

I agree that you need to pay these businesses for their knowledge, experience, labor costs, after the sale support and reasonable profit, but to the uneducated, it does seem there is some large $$'s being made here. I think AEV has made it so easy now you are going to see more companies getting into it. I heard about a shop the other day in PA that does it for 3k flatrate. I will be checking into that lead soon.
I will add my 2 cents (keep in mind that I hate the local speed/off-road shop). One of the guys in the local club is doing 6.1L swap into his TJ. It is alot of work and the labour cost would add up if we weren't doing it ourselves. You need to have some specialty tools (some we are borrowing some we are buying). If you do it yourself, which is the way to go if you ask me, you better be prepared to have your jeep out of service for a while even if you have all the parts ordered and waiting. For sure buy the AEV conversion kit. This is a lot of work and not the kind of thing you can get halfway through and then decide that it is too much work you better be able to see it all the way through. If the jeep is your ownly vehicle and you need to drive it regularly gwt it done professionally. Yes it costs a lot of money, but you won't be sorry....if you are a very handy and have the time and space to do save the money it is a lot of fun working on your own jeep.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mueller433
I will add my 2 cents (keep in mind that I hate the local speed/off-road shop). One of the guys in the local club is doing 6.1L swap into his TJ. It is alot of work and the labour cost would add up if we weren't doing it ourselves. You need to have some specialty tools (some we are borrowing some we are buying). If you do it yourself, which is the way to go if you ask me, you better be prepared to have your jeep out of service for a while even if you have all the parts ordered and waiting. For sure buy the AEV conversion kit. This is a lot of work and not the kind of thing you can get halfway through and then decide that it is too much work you better be able to see it all the way through. If the jeep is your ownly vehicle and you need to drive it regularly gwt it done professionally. Yes it costs a lot of money, but you won't be sorry....if you are a very handy and have the time and space to do save the money it is a lot of fun working on your own jeep.
I am not famaliar with a hemi swap into a TJ, but for a hemi into a JK with the AEV kit, I cannot think of any really special tools I needed other than a specific size fuel injection line removal tool that I borrowed. (and I only needed that because I purchased a used 5.7 and the salvage yard just cut the fuel lines and left that connector on the rail. ) There were some odd socket sizes I had to buy that usually don't come in a set of metric sockets, but that was about it. Of course you need an angle grinder to cut the engine mounts off, a welder to weld the new ones and an engine hoist capable of lifting the engine, trans and t case all in one lift (or at least that is how I did it). I also used a flaring tool to flare the trans cooler lines where they meet with rubber hose. But other than that, it is just basic mechanic tools. 90% of the time I was just working from the tool box I carry on the trails with me. It is true that it takes a fair amount of time, but if you plan correctly you can greatly reduce the time running for a specific bolt or part.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im curious, lets say i go offroad and hydro the stock engine. since many insurance providers will take care of it, would it be possible to upgrade to a hemi and then i just pay the difference of the stock engine and labor and hemi and labor? seems like could save a butt load of $$$

lets say stock engine and labor from dealer is $10,000 ( i honestly have no clue how much it costs) and hemi and labor through my guy is $18,000, then essentially i just got a hemi swap for $8,000

why i ask, my insurance was covering some smaller parts and they allow me to use whatever mechanic i choose and i wanted to upgrade the parts and they went for it. now they prefer u to use a certified mechanic from their list but wont deny u of the choice.

just hypothetical
Old 01-23-2010, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

good info guys!!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

I would think you could shop around and get alot better deel than $17,500! Thats insane...
Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

I agree with most - i think the shops are all sticking to the $18k to $20k number, using all new factory parts and the complete AEV kit...it's easy to get the numbers up there when you pay Dodge prices for electronics, etc...
DIY from a used motor/tranny is the backyard way to get it done without breaking the bank.

Quick Reply: Lower Cost Hemi Conversion?