Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Lower Cost Hemi Conversion?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N30EX
I did the AEV conversion in my garage, body on the Jeep, and with no prior JK or Hemi knowledge (although I am a descent wrench). I did the conversion in about 35 hours without any help at all. Adding about 8 hours to the build was a lot of rework of my long arm lift to allow the AEV exhaust to fit. If not for this, I would have been able to come in under 30 hours as a first-timer.

What I learned could probably save about 5 hours if I were to do it again. The total build time would be about 25 hours. This does not include the time to prep the engine, run to the auto parts store, etc. Adding all that back in, you're probably coming in just over 30 hours. Many specalty shops charge $95 an hour--that's about $3,000 for that amount of time.... Much over 3K to 5K in labor is probably excessive, but then again, a reputable builder with a warranty is worth something.

Me? I bought a used engine and trans on eBay that had 17K. Doing it myself was under $9K including the AEV kit, the Hemi and trans, and parts. I tore the Jeep down and had it back on the road in eight days.

-Randy
Well I know who to call when I do mine in a couple of years!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

These guys just posted in the Denver CL too. The pics of the install dont look that good. The intake and accessories dont look well though out. It also says it going to be CARB legal soon. This sounds a little sketchy to me
Old 12-09-2009, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

AEV told me that they had the install down to 12 hrs. If labor is around 5000.00 that would be just over 400. per hr labor.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tcodtj
AEV told me that they had the install down to 12 hrs. If labor is around 5000.00 that would be just over 400. per hr labor.
12 hours for how many techs?
Old 12-09-2009, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

He didn't say how many. But with more than 2 they would be running into each other at times so say 2 techs = 24 hrs still over 200 per hr.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know these guys well. I have them work on my Jeep all the time. Usually about 4 conversions at the shop going at a time.

The reason you do not think the accessories look that good, remember, it is a truck motor, not a car motor. So you see it all.

Last edited by wayoflife; 12-09-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 PM
JK Super Freak

IMHO $17.5 is still too much...but compared, a very good price...Hemi swaps may have been "hard" in a JK a couple of years ago, it was uncharted territory...thus justifying the cost of "thinking" time and fab that had to go into it....but now 3 years into them being on the market, the way is pretty well paved. If you wanted a old carb V8 engine swapped into an old CJ, you wouldn't be surprised if everyone hasn't heard of the shop you decided to go with. I'm not surprised that there are more smaller shops popping up everywhere that offer these swaps...and for cheaper because its all pretty much bolt in and plug up. This is what needs to happen so all these other shops that started doing it might get the hint that it's not rocket science anymore and start lowering prices
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Screamin Lizard Customs
Man that sounds way not the way to go. We do them and the money involved in parst adds up and then the job needs to be done right. We are Mopar and Nissan techs as well as off road techs. I would say no way Jose.

Gerry
no offense man.....but you might be a little biased
Old 12-10-2009, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Jeepspeed shop did my hemi swap this past year (June/July) and got it done for cheaper than 17,5! I have about 10000 miles on the swap and I have had virtually no problems! And I have a valid CA 5.7 vehicle swap tag! I can smog my jeep anytime which is a huge deal in CA. The only downside was the time it took for my swap. I was a good 2 months but I knew that going into it. I drive it daily and it is a blast!!!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 03:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N30EX
I did the AEV conversion in my garage, body on the Jeep, and with no prior JK or Hemi knowledge (although I am a descent wrench). I did the conversion in about 35 hours without any help at all.
Respect !!! I've this in mind for next year, wrenching at home. Couple of questions if u don't mind...

Did u fab the engine mounts ?
And how much or many small annoying items (brackets, wires, heat shielding, whatever) were needed to be fabbed or bought separately from the kit to complete ? Cheers

Quick Reply: Lower Cost Hemi Conversion?