Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Loudest exhaust

Old 02-24-2010, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
zhuskers - what kind of flowmaster are you using? 80 series crossflow?
Icy Fridge - my exhaust sounds amazing -- deep throaty and no droaning at cruising speeds. The gas MPG has actually improved. If you go this route, maybe you can learn from my journey. My journey was three steps - see below.

I get a ton of compliments on the sound and looks.

It was a "journey", but I had a great muffler shop to work with,

Total cost was about $440 for everything.

But be aware ......you could loose power, torque and MPG when you install a dual exhaust system, Borla has a fix for $25!

Hope this helps!

Here are a few posts on this exhaust system:

#1) The Install

I live in Omaha and we have a local muffler shop that has a tech that does many custom exhaust systems. I had installed a Flowmaster #53083. It has a 5"X10" case with one 3" input and two 2.5" outputs. The 3" input had to be modified. The Flowmaster muffler is not as wide as the OEM muffler, this caused the tech to use two simple custom mounts that were connected to the back of the frame.

The tech then painted the muffler with high heat flat black paint.

We chose Magnaflow 4" Chrome rolled tips.

The cost installed was $370 including tax.

Link to original post with pics:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-show-tell-33/santa-brings-dual-exhaust-4-tips-66053/

#2) Added 30 "glass pack along frame to make sound not as aggressive. cost $35

#3) LOSS OF POWER AND TORQUE FIX -

There were some posts a while back about about people who had installed dual exhaust and loss torque at low RPM and the MPG went down.

Well I installed a dual exhaust system and the same thing happened to me.

I friend of mine told me to call Borla and order a Borla 2 1/2" venturi. I ordered one and had installed at my local shop. It worked great!! The venturi reduces your pipe from 2 1/2" to 2 1/8" for about a 3" inch section of your exhaust pipe.

Torque is back and MPG is at or above factory levels.

It cost for the Borla venturi is $24 and my shop charged me $20 to install.

Very simple install. Slice your pipe ahead of your muffler, slide in the venturi and weld the pipe.

Link to original thread:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/fix-loss-torque-mpg-dual-exhaust-73136/
Old 02-25-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want loud, I would just remove the stock muffler. Its loud, but still sounds good, and isn't as loud as you think it would be without a muffler. I think the 4 cats on these things quiets it up just enough. I personally have the stock muffler removed and a hushpower II muffler installed under the driver side. I love the sound of it and its just loud enough without becoming irritating at cruising speeds, no resonation either. I'd say its just a bit quieter than a flowmaster 2 chamber (40 or 44 series).
Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

My Muffler Delete Write-Up
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...muffler+delete

AND Video's of in-cab and on the ground...crap cell videos, still give you an idea though.
Ground
http://s391.photobucket.com/albums/o...91014-1730.flv
Cab
http://s391.photobucket.com/albums/o...91014-1442.flv

The on ground video sounds a lot worse than it should, the phone was right under the exhaust
Old 02-25-2010, 07:43 PM
JK Junkie

Don't think mine is the loudest, but I like the sound.....Magnaflow...short clip taken couple days ago, climbing snowy hill...

Old 03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

do yall think u could fit a super 44 flowmaster exhaust under there??
Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Freak

I have a Gibson split. I love the looks of it and the sound at low RPMs is nice but if you ever get on the throttle it starts to sound like a go-cart.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

loud exhaust on a six banger, they will laugh you out of the woods
Old 03-02-2010, 02:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you want a good sound and not annoying, you should go with the Magnaflow single setup, it is really easy to install and you use the factory pipe after making a cut the same size as the muffler. It sounds good and is louder than stock but not I am 15yr old first time driver with a weedeater motor in my jeep...
Old 03-03-2010, 12:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My flowmaster is nice. Just not loud enough. 3 people came to me and said my JK needs more "balls". What an ego deflate!

Torn between DynoMax split rear or MBRP stock exit (I like my chrome tips). I want to be able to FEEL the damned exhaust. (Sorry - No, I will not get a Gibson Dual)

Quick Reply: Loudest exhaust