Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Lost My Job..Considering a project..not sure if its possible.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Being a BMW Tech for a living, you'll have nightmares trying to work with their systems. Do you have the DSC system as well? Fuel Pump Control? That is a Direct Injection Engine...

Those engines have tons of problems in their happy home, let alone in a Jeep. Just my 2cents being I work on them everyday..."They aint a LS1 or a Hemi", not even close! You don't need a 7000rpm engine in your Jeep, and their low end "torque" is nothing close to a 6.1L hemi, Turbos need load to build boost...rock crawling won't build boost fast enough to use the power, you'd need to be in a prerunner to get the turbo advantage over a Hemi

Sell the BMW stuff...
x2

I don't make my living as a BMW Tech. I'd consider it more of a hobbie, and I've owned about 7 BMW's, none of them new or under warranty, so learning to work on them was almost mandatory.

The electronics associated with that engine would be a nightmare to try to work out in the Jeep, even if it were possible to get the motor mounts and transmission mounts fabricated. Also, keep in mind all the other little things like the fact that you don't have an oil dipstick in that motor. Just the electronic level sensor, that reads out on the dash.

And the direct injection issue didn't even occure to me, but I'd think would be a big problem. Those things run ridiculous fuel pressure.

It's a really nice engine, though. I hope to have one in the next BMW I purchase.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Man sounds like a insane project. We know that you can do alot if you know how to get around the JK engineer nightmare. This would be a larger undertaking than I think would be fun. With the right time and understanding I think it would be cool to make the JK a multiple powerplant friendly ride.

Look forward to your steps to the project.

Gerry
Old 09-01-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

As another BMW employee who has seen a few dozen turbos replaced under warranty in the last 2 months I'd say drop the BMW drivetrain and stick with a Hemi that we all know will work!

Especailly at $4 g's per turbo replacement with all the parts involved...

Just my $.02....
Old 09-04-2009, 02:09 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BigSteve51
As another BMW employee who has seen a few dozen turbos replaced under warranty in the last 2 months I'd say drop the BMW drivetrain and stick with a Hemi that we all know will work!

Especailly at $4 g's per turbo replacement with all the parts involved...

Just my $.02....
X2

remember that even if you get it to work.. parts that fail for whatever reason will not be cheap.. and i'm pretty sure BMW will not know how to solve those kinds of technical problems. it's a much complex motor.. not as friendly as a Hemi would be in mods

sell the motor and get the Hemi
Old 09-09-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn I wish BMW had bought Chrysler! wrangler 3.8 XI with the M package of course.

Quick Reply: Lost My Job..Considering a project..not sure if its possible.