Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Lost My Job..Considering a project..not sure if its possible.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost My Job..Considering a project..not sure if its possible.

So before I got my JK I wa driving a 2007 BMW 335i Coupe, that I wrecked and the insurance company totalled out. I bought the car back from them for about 10k parted it out made my 10k back plus about another 7k and I managed to hold onto the entire drive train.

I dont know even where to begin..but I would love to be able to rip out my mini van motor and install this twin turbo german power house. Its an inline 6 with 2 wonderful little turbos that under the current tune in the BMW were giving me an astonishing 377RWTQ and 362RWHP. All while getting 24mpg on the street and almost 30 on the road.

I have the complete engine, with all accessories sensors etc. Trans cooler, turbo cooler, 6spd auto trans, all harness' and the computer. I think this motor would be great in the JK as it isn't a heavy rev'er but actuallly has full boost and hp at 2000 rpm. which would be nice for crawling. I just dont even know where to start once I figure out how to sit the motor and trans in there I wouldn't even know where to start as far as the eletronics are concerned.

As Im typing this Im starting to think this may be way to much to undertake just wanted some input from someone who maybe familiar with doing some oddball power train swaps. Worst case, I can easily sell the BMW driveline for around 15k and then just do a 6.1 hemi setup. But I really miss this inline 6 and those two little turbos and I think theyd be great in my jeep.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:28 PM
JK Super Freak

hope you can pull this off! im sure camp or someone will chime in eventually...
Old 08-09-2009, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black08rubi
you do realize it would not be legal in NY right? and I dont think anyone would know where to start with the electronics lol. sell it and get the hemi
Hadn't even thought about that??Why wouldn't it be legal?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

love the idea, go for it...
Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Besides the smog issues if you want to drive it on the street you need to remember that your DT is from a 2 WD and would need adapters made to match with the transfer case. Then their might be na engine length issue, engine mounts, tranny mounts. The BMW would have to be a hydralulic clutch type or electronic to make it work. Then the HP and torque would have to be retuned to match the gears/wheel sizes. A radiator to match and the exhaust system redo. It could be done at an expense much higher than a Hemi redo. Your MPG will suffer from the retuning and the aerodynamics of the Jeep Brick style.

Then you'd have to ask yourself if the tranny gears would hold up to off road usage, in particular the high torque for sand, the slide grip, slide grip on rocks, and so on.

I'd say dump the DT while the pricing is attainable, and get the Hemi if you do not beed the money to carry you over to the nect job. You could always put a turbo on the Hemi, or two. Check out the JP mag for last month and look at the Jeep with 40" tires, hemi and 5 speed done by factory engineers.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

You lost your job and are considering under taking this project? Wow!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scootrrydr
You lost your job and are considering under taking this project? Wow!
Obama must be funding this project
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
Obama must be funding this project
:rotfl mao2:
Old 08-11-2009, 05:14 AM
bkw
JK Freak

For it to be legal, you need to swap in a motor from the same manufacturer of the same or newer year than yours.

The minute they open your hood and see the white and blue propeller they'll fail you.

Everything will need to be custom, and custom = $$$

Sell the motor and get a hemi, or sell the JK and get an E30 or E36 needing a new heart.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being a BMW Tech for a living, you'll have nightmares trying to work with their systems. Do you have the DSC system as well? Fuel Pump Control? That is a Direct Injection Engine...

Those engines have tons of problems in their happy home, let alone in a Jeep. Just my 2cents being I work on them everyday..."They aint a LS1 or a Hemi", not even close! You don't need a 7000rpm engine in your Jeep, and their low end "torque" is nothing close to a 6.1L hemi, Turbos need load to build boost...rock crawling won't build boost fast enough to use the power, you'd need to be in a prerunner to get the turbo advantage over a Hemi

Sell the BMW stuff...

Quick Reply: Lost My Job..Considering a project..not sure if its possible.