Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Lets Talk Welders....

Old 11-22-2007, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
Thanks everyone for the input! I can't believe we have so many welders on here. I do want to take a class. I will start looking soon. I think I will also hold off on buying a welder until after I at least start the class and learn a tad more.
I welded for a living when I got out of HS for a few years. I've only run a bead a few times since. It's kind of like riding a bicycle; once you learn, you never forget.

Originally Posted by crux
Actually, that someone who welds would be a "WELDOR"
True, but only other weldors know it. The only time I ever saw the word was in school.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by putnam dan
My wife wants a new welder for Christmas (no I'm not kidding) what would you suggest. I was thinking a Millermatic DVI2 thoughts?
Will be a nice machine, but you could definately go alot cheaper and still have a nice Miller.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bsack
to be honest the brand of welder is of little importance.
Stop changing the subject into your life story/resume. Lets go back to what you originally told the dude as quoted above. I feel that the brand is important for many reasons as do the folks at JP magazine who did an extensive article about this very subject in their latest issue.

My point was that buying a cheap welder is going to limit someone who wants to do the things that the guy said he wants to do. Instead you turn it into a competition into how much better a welder you are than me. Who cares? I could care less if you knew how to weld upside down underwater on oil rigs, thats no excuse for giving bad advice on purchasing the correct welder...
Old 11-23-2007, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thinkmud or anyone else can take or leave any advice given, mine happens to be based on experience and experience tells me that skills are more important than the tool. I know I normally take advice based on credentials, tends to weed out bad advice. A welding class is cheap, accessable, and allows the person to learn from experienced and enthused teachers. Once you have proper fundamentals you can weld with any machine put before you. And you will also have developed the knowledge to pick out the welding machine and process or processes that apply to your needs. And top of the line isn't always a need, especially for the occasional hobby welder. I have access to any welding machine I want, and any process, but most of the time I just use my little old Miller topcrank AC/DC Thunderbolt. A machine that might sell for $100 max. And dont get so offended, he asked a welding question. Not a major event
Old 11-24-2007, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

I got to weld some on Thanksgiving! Nothing real, just some scrap metal and a metal table. It was fun.

I got to weld on an Arc welder with some crazy sticks i guess you call them.. my uncle sells them(the rods or sticks) and he had like bunch of different kinds of sticks, the one i used you could bend them, it was cool, and really easy. took me a few tries but I could finally do some pretty smooth looking welds. (I went in half moon motions) he also had some sticks that are used to cut. it was awesome. he has some you can use underwater, but the ones we used, you couldn't grind down, he said they are too strong, you can only use another stick to burn them off, weird. he had some sticks that cost over 400 bucks for a 10 pack! So is arc/stick welding more expensive then wire machines? it seemed really easy, no gas, nothing, but like 2 jumper cable looking things, one was attached to the metal table we where welding on and one with the stick in it. His was a huge machine, about 3 feet tall and 220v, so that is way more then i would want, I would want something that could plug into a regular outlet. But the cool thing is, my girl friend got to watch and she liked it, so she is ready to start learning to weld too.

So anyone use these types of machines? or are they too "old school" or something? They seemed to work good, but it seems that if you had a really long line to weld, you would have to keep grabbing a new stick. they burnt down pretty fast.

It was really fun, and I didn't even know my uncle was a weldor, apparently he's been doing it for years, so i'll be going to see him more now
Old 11-24-2007, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Thinkmud. Ya, what you were doing was SMAW-shielded metal arc welding-and it is older technology than wirefeed welding of all sorts. It tends to be harder for people to do than wirefeed welding, especially when welding out of position. When one goes to a welding program you start on stick welding first as it allows you to develop skills as you have to do more to control your puddle, bead placement,etc. Its cheaper and I prefer it in most cases because I can switch electrodes easier than changing wire. With the changing of electrodes you can weld on most materials or combinations of materials. Mild steel, stainless, etc. You can even hardcase with it. Machines are relatively cheap and rod isn't awfully expensive. If you know anyone in a shop they could get you rod to keep you busy, I am sure. Have fun
Old 11-25-2007, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I just did a quick search on arc welders, and they do seem cheaper. I found this one, only 150 bucks, and it plugs into a normal outlet.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/200310823.htm

I'm thinking I may start with this, and go from there, and If I really need something bigger, I can always go to one of my friend's houses or my uncle's now that I know he has a one.

again, remember that I am not trying spend a fortune and I need one that is not 220 v, b/c I can not re-wire my land lord's garage

I think this one would get me started on making some bumpers I'm still gonna shop around, but that is first one I have found under 200 bucks.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good plan, but take the money you save and take a stick welding class. This way if you find you like it you can move on to wirefeed and have a second independant stick machine or sell the Clarke. But I highly recommend a class. Its just too cheap and you will benefit so much from it. But mainly have a blast.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

yeah I still want to take a class regardless of what I buy. but I was thinking with the money i save by buying a stick machine, I could get a nicer helmet and safety gear.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
yeah I still want to take a class regardless of what I buy. but I was thinking with the money i save by buying a stick machine, I could get a nicer helmet and safety gear.
Ya, dont use that hood on a stick they are junk. Hoods are so cheap. You will have a good time playing with welding. And with alittle bit of skills you could even make alittle side $ out of your garage. People are always looking for something or other to be welded.

Quick Reply: Lets Talk Welders....