Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Lets Talk Welders....

Old 11-17-2007, 04:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets Talk Welders....

I am planning on buying a welder and learning to weld.

I want to be able to do minor repairs, such as welding trac-bar brackets back on the axle, building bumpers, and smaller jobs.

I have been looking at Flux Core welders and was wondering what others that know more then myself would suggest.

I am looking at the Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 100HD Wire Feed Welder from Home Depot for $369 it says it Welds up to 1/4 In. it plugs into a standard 115V (15Amp) plug and that is what I want, no 220 V.

There is also a Craftsman at Sears that can only go to 3/16 Inch steel, but it's about 100 bucks cheaper.

I want to get the most bang for my buck and have something that will be decant to weld home projects and repairs.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If choosing between those two options go with the Lincoln. Lincoln (or Miller) are always going to be a better machine than a Craftsman unless you are talking wrenches. The Lincoln you are looking at will be fine for projects on light materials. I would suggest taking a welding class at a local community college. Most welding programs offer a night class of an hour or two for not much money and that would allow you to develop some well rounded skills as well as use alot of different machines and processes. I would do that before buying a welder. Also you would be able to use their machines and possibly materials for your own projects. When I was in welding school we had alot of guys and girls taking a night class or two just to build projects or develop skills just for a hobby.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bsack
If choosing between those two options go with the Lincoln. Lincoln (or Miller) are always going to be a better machine than a Craftsman unless you are talking wrenches. The Lincoln you are looking at will be fine for projects on light materials. I would suggest taking a welding class at a local community college. Most welding programs offer a night class of an hour or two for not much money and that would allow you to develop some well rounded skills as well as use alot of different machines and processes. I would do that before buying a welder. Also you would be able to use their machines and possibly materials for your own projects. When I was in welding school we had alot of guys and girls taking a night class or two just to build projects or develop skills just for a hobby.
X2. But if you`re "handy",just reading thru the instructions & watching the video that comes with the lincoln is sufficient for small projects IMO. I never welded before, and with my wire feed, I`m a weldin' fool! The main thing I would sugest is take your time, learn proper technique, and watch that weld puddle!!! You can`t go wrong with the Lincoln. The problem is when you figure out you can weld, suddenly you have to go out and spend gobbs of $$$$ on steel for projects you never knew you had to accomplish !

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2007, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

i have a hobart 185 thats works great its et up for gas i really dont like flux core but hey thats me i have a big 220 miller for when i im weldning really thick stuff
Old 11-17-2007, 05:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty handy I would say, I do most of my own work on any rigs I have had. But welding is a different ball game. I would like to take a class just to get more experience first.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

A little trick( goes for most of the cc welding programs in this area so most likely similar where you are at). Sign up for a one night a week Basis Welding course which is a two credit class. (Here $70-$80 a credit) Then talk to the head of the program, he's gonna be a down to earth guy and tell him the process or processes you want to learn and what you want to be able to do and he will help you out. It will be cheaper than taking a GMAW, FCAW, etc, etc course. The guys(and girls) in the full program usually hang out during the night( and weekend) classes and help out so you will learn alot. Even if you ask one of the fulltime students to show you some TIG or such they are usually really cool about sharing what they know and you'll be learning from guys that are excited about it. When I was in welding school we also had a Saturday class that was longer, could also be an option for you.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Sounds cool, I will look into the classes and see what I can find around here.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get the Home Depot/Lowe's version go to a proper welding store and buy the better version like a Power MIG 140C. The "C" stands for continuous so instead of A,B,C,D settings you have a power knob that allows you more adjustment instead of the "T" version which stands for tapped. Also get a tank of gas and a fresh spool of gas wire then throw the fluxcore spool in the garbage. With a 140C you could weld razor blades or 3/16 plate.

BTW, you don't need no class. Just get some metal tabs and practice. Start with thin stuff on low heat and slow wire and then move up. Make sure and get a nice helmet, set up the side knobs so it flips down easy, hold the wire close to the work, jerk your head so helmet drops down and have fun!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
Don't get the Home Depot/Lowe's version go to a proper welding store and buy the better version like a Power MIG 140C. The "C" stands for continuous so instead of A,B,C,D settings you have a power knob that allows you more adjustment instead of the "T" version which stands for tapped. Also get a tank of gas and a fresh spool of gas wire then throw the fluxcore spool in the garbage. With a 140C you could weld razor blades or 3/16 plate.

BTW, you don't need no class. Just get some metal tabs and practice. Start with thin stuff on low heat and slow wire and then move up. Make sure and get a nice helmet, set up the side knobs so it flips down easy, hold the wire close to the work, jerk your head so helmet drops down and have fun!
Nothing wrong with the Home Depot version. I`ve had mine for years with absolutely no problems. I know it`s not a continuous duty rig, but my weldpack 100 works like a charm with flux core. If you practice enough, you`ll get pretty good with little spatter and nice beads. I`ve made custom bumpers, an entire trailer that has seen lots of miles with no weld breaks. It`s not the cleanest type of set up, but with a little practice and proper technique, one can complete entire projects fairly quickly that will last. I`ve even welded up to 5/16 steel. The best thing about these little welders is you can start welding right out of the box! I`m getting the impression that this guy wants to try his hand at it for small "projects". I think it`s a great idea to spend $300-$400 on a nice little set up and see if it works out for him. If not, he only has that much invested. No need to run out and buy the most expensive best rig for your first test run. If he likes it, he can move up when he`s ready. I know quite a few people that have spent quite a bit of money on a particular set up, tried it, couldn`t get the hang of it, and in the end wasted a lot of money.

Last edited by crux; 11-17-2007 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

If you're on a limited budget, the smaller 115v welders will work for most small/medium jobs. But if budget permits, you'll likely be happier with a bigger machine in the long run.

Either way, have fun!

Quick Reply: Lets Talk Welders....