Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Just dropped off my Rock Hard cage at the powdercoaters!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CitadelJeep04
Whats the coupon code for this month?
4WOR0809
Old 07-24-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes. That looks like some serious head trauma for anyone in the backseat for a head-on or rear end collision. Probably not, just looks like it. I like them for the safety factor for rollovers, but it looks like they would limit you on the usability of your Jeep. Can't have it both ways I guess.

Thanks for the pics.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Thumper616

Yikes. That looks like some serious head trauma for anyone in the backseat for a head-on or rear end collision. Probably not, just looks like it. I like them for the safety factor for rollovers, but it looks like they would limit you on the usability of your Jeep. Can't have it both ways I guess.

Thanks for the pics.
I heard it's a real PITA to install as well. I too was concerned about the use of the back seat with that bar installed. I've got two little ones and half the time the wife and I have to climb back there which I think this bar would make difficult to do.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Forgive the question - all those who bought this - but I am questioning the seriousness of this cage.
It seems from the pics and the RH site that the whole thing is pretty well built in the front (even though it doesn't go all the way to the floor), but what about the part where it links to the main original roll bar.
Looking at the original roll bar - it's so weak it's ridiculous... so what's the point of using this cage if the part above the driver's head will come crushing down on the driver when the jeep roles?

What are your thoughts?
Old 07-30-2009, 12:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Meni
Forgive the question - all those who bought this - but I am questioning the seriousness of this cage.
It seems from the pics and the RH site that the whole thing is pretty well built in the front (even though it doesn't go all the way to the floor), but what about the part where it links to the main original roll bar.
Looking at the original roll bar - it's so weak it's ridiculous... so what's the point of using this cage if the part above the driver's head will come crushing down on the driver when the jeep roles?

What are your thoughts?
Put it this way, I spent less than $500 to purchase this cage AND have it powdercoated. For that price, whatever level of protection it provides has got to be better than nothing at all. Sure a full cage that ties into the frame, etc will always be better but there really isn't anything else available right now other than custom creations - and those will cost you at leat $1500 in raw steel.

I don't think anyone can 100% comment on what will happen with this cage in an accident until one is documented in actual use. But even then the conditions of what happened in the accident will influence how the RH cage protected the occupants.

Also think that the cage is really meant to offer whatever protection it gives, during an off-road accident. In those situations you're usually going much slower than on-pavement so the protection the cage provides is in reducing the cave-in effect that a roll-over brings.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
Put it this way, I spent less than $500 to purchase this cage AND have it powdercoated. For that price, whatever level of protection it provides has got to be better than nothing at all. Sure a full cage that ties into the frame, etc will always be better but there really isn't anything else available right now other than custom creations - and those will cost you at leat $1500 in raw steel.

I don't think anyone can 100% comment on what will happen with this cage in an accident until one is documented in actual use. But even then the conditions of what happened in the accident will influence how the RH cage protected the occupants.

Also think that the cage is really meant to offer whatever protection it gives, during an off-road accident. In those situations you're usually going much slower than on-pavement so the protection the cage provides is in reducing the cave-in effect that a roll-over brings.
very well put... and I am going to get one of these cages when $$ alows.. so likely in a year :( hahahaa
Old 08-02-2009, 09:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rockhard cage being installed now!

this cage is neat looking once installed especially since i ordered the padding kits but--wow--the installation is some work.

i guess i thought i could just order it, powdercoat it and bolt it in. WRONG

there are some measurements that have to be done at the front doors to drill holes for the 3 button head screws that hold the side bars in--take your time and be precise. i didnt do as good as i would have liked. the template provided is still just an educated guess as to where the holes are behind the panel and i had to enlarge the holes once drilled to get them to line up-did not like that at all but i chalk it up to operator error( me and my drilling skill into spot welds)

also dont like the cutting of the rear pad to install the rear upper brace since there is no way to hold down the flapping fabric once the bar is in place.(my solution is black gorrilla tape until a better solution presents itself.)

now have to find a way to get my t-tops to sit down and seal up without cutting my fiberglass panels up-will probably end up grinding down the endcaps on the upper cross bar to make clearance since that is the contact point-no problems with the rear of panels or back hard top like i thought there would be where the front brace and the rear brace meet and overlap-jeep already had alot of space there.

since it has been raining here all week i cant take my jeep out due to the ttops not sealing up-kinda fustrating but tolerable since i have other transport--a caravan which is not cool at all to ride in.

once i figure out the picture system i will put some up for u to see.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumper, that looks just like my Rockhard harness bar and Iggee seats, but This is my only pic

Sorry Texas Trailmaker, you will have to cut the outside forward insides of the freedom tops to clear the Rockhard crossbar clamps, doesnt take much and when you're done, with the freedom tops clamped down, you should be able to slide a postcard around the crossclamp/top areas

Good luck

JIMBO
Old 08-03-2009, 07:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Have any of you guys noticed that the center of your dash is starting to bow from the clamping effect the 2 vertical bars make? I have seen some Jeeps where it is noticable from the windshiled looking in but you can't see it that way on mine, only from the inside.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

That happens if you didn't cut the outside corners of the dash, where the cage verticals BUTT against it !!

If they haven't been notched, the cage plates will combine a lot of inward pressure, especially if you "pulled them together", TO BOLT THE TOPS

JIMBO

Quick Reply: Just dropped off my Rock Hard cage at the powdercoaters!