Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Just dropped off my Rock Hard cage at the powdercoaters!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just dropped off my Rock Hard cage at the powdercoaters!

That's right, I just got my Rock Hard sport cage last night and I dropped it off this morning to get powdercoated. I'll post some pics of it installed once I get it back next week.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by .:eMETAL:.
now you've hit my jealous nerve

awesome

is there an echo in here?
No, he just hit the nerve twice
Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

now you've hit my jealous nerve

awesome

is there an echo in here?

I think I hear the echo too

It took me THIS long to make you jealous?? just kidding
Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
I think I hear the echo too

It took me THIS long to make you jealous?? just kidding
Ha, you had me with the 40s and Xenon flares! And now I want a new rear bumper!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

i'm not typing that again... hahaha

look forward to seeing these done. i'm guessing you're doing red
Red it is. They call it blood red to be exact. Powdercoating prices are just insanely affordable, I'd powdercoat everything if I could.

Hmmmmmmm.......maybe my bumpers are next............
Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

nice, looking forward to seeing that mod when its done....
Old 05-19-2009, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

good job another has joined the club
Old 05-29-2009, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Got the cage back and the color is PERFECT!!!!! Install starts tonight!!
Old 05-29-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
Got the cage back and the color is PERFECT!!!!! Install starts tonight!!

we need a preview.....
Old 05-30-2009, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

So, rover1301 and PAHUNTER21 both came over last night to help me install the cage. My hat goes off to both of them, especially rover1301 who was out in my garage with me until almost 2:30am finishing the installation.

I also want to thank ColinW for his write-up on the installation....https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/rock-hard-4x4-jk-sports-cage-installation-40988/. It was very helpful in picking out some of the finer details that the instructions leave out.

In all, it took about 6hrs to install it from start to 'almost' finish. This inlcuded at least a combined total of 3hrs (out of the 6) of BSing as we took advantage of having 3 guys that love Jeeps.....talk about Jeeps. There was a good chunk of time spent by PAHUNTER21 and myself having to re-tap the 36+ holes since the powdercoating filled in the threads not so nicely.

Some of the other snags we ran into, including why above I say 'almost' finish, inlcude the drill template not necessarily showing you exactly where you need to punch and drill for the holes that fasten the outer vertical bars to the dash. We were very lucky on the driver's side as I found each of the 3 holes perfectly. As for the passenger side, let's just say it took alot of trial and error including having to install, take off, install, take off, install, etc the outer bar. Also to note, in ColinW's write-up, he mentions how he had to use a ratcheting strap in order to pull the driver's bar in far enough for the top 2 bolts to line up with the OEM holes that were already there. I assume he was doing the install by himself with no help, as my cage had the same problem but with rover1301 pushing inward and me pulling and threading the bolts, we were able to overcome the misalignment in a matter of minutes. In fact, the driver's side bar took maybe 30 minutes to install.

The other only PITA part of the install was the bar that goes across the top of the windshiled along with the bar that goes from the speakerbar to that top winshield bar. Contrary to what the product description says from Rock Hard, the Freedom top panels may be compatible but it IS NOT a plug & play process. There's a pin on the Freedom top panels that must align with a hole in the horizontal OEM bars that go from the B pillar to the windshield. Unfourtunately, that upper winshield bar from Rock Hard has the attachment collars right up against where the pin goes in. As well the collars are very thick and even without the pin problem, they do not let the panels fit flush and therefore must be trimmed extensively to actually allow the panels to work as designed. I am going to call Rock Hard on Monday to see if they have better instructions for the trimming before I go and dremmel out my $2K hard top.

I also think it looks great without putting the OEM roll bar padding back on. You'll see in my pictures below what I mean.

So all in all, I am EXTREMELY happy with this cage and would recommend it to anyone. I paid $480 + tax for the cage brand new from 4wheel Parts and then another $69 to have it powdercoated.

So now on to the show................

How the box looked after I got it home (the smaller white box is my Rock Hard license plate relocation bracket):

What was inside the box as I inventoried it and dropped it off at the powdercoaters:

What it looked like when I got it back from the powdercoaters:

A few 'before' interior pics:

And the finsihed product, sans the middle bar being completely attached since I still needed to move it around a bit while I trimmed the Freedom Top panels:

Quick Reply: Just dropped off my Rock Hard cage at the powdercoaters!