Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

JSEARS Build Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JSEARS Build Thread

I didn't have a formal build thread so I thought I would make one from start to finish (or well to where I am currently). That I can update along the way!

It all started when I decided to sell my 2006 BMW X5 Dinan S1.

After selling it I decided I wanted a JKU. I started looking for a Rubicon but when I started looking the used car market was rather slim and dealers wouldn't budge on new Rubicons, even $50!

Driving around one day, I came across this semi-beauty at the time. (Way too much Chrome for me and those wheels have to go!)A 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X.

Quickly after that I took off the chrome wheels and purchased some Black Rock wheels and A/T tires. Not knowing anything about Jeeps, I bought basically 31'' tires! After buying rims and tires I decided to go off-roading for my first time ever!

I learned 2 big mistakes that day.
1) Never go alone
2) If you go alone, you better have some type of recovery gear.

I got stuck in a giant mud hole, mud seeped all the way into the Jeep. The mud ate my iPhone and Digital Camera. Luckily I found some locals to come pull me out. They said: "This must be your first time out here, because everybody knows better than to drive through that hole."

Here's a photo of the Jeep after I got back home from that expedition.

I went out a few more times, nothing technically challenging. Typically with other "stock" groups (and I added a Hi-Lift).

After some convincing to the wife she let me get a lift! So, it was time to get surgical on the Jeep!

In the end I added a Full Traction 3'' Economy Lift, JKS Rear Track Bar, and Old Man Emu Long Travel Shocks. Here's a shot of my Jeep after the lift (still on 31's) against a friends JKU which has a Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift and 35'' Coopers.

It was time to get new tires. Since I bought a lift, the wife wouldn't let me go out and spend big bucks on tires. So, after some shopping around I found a set of 4 37'' Goodyear MTR's (old style) for $300 that had a little less than 50% tread left.

Surprising to me the Jeep ran well with stock 4.10 gears!

In the meantime I went out wheeling a few times!

Decided to add a little bit of armor to my diffs!

Out playing a few more times!

Then another miracle happened. The wife let me spend some more money on the Jeep!

So, I added: New 37'' Goodyear MTR/K's, LoD Shorty Front Bumper with Stinger, LoD Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, Warn M8000, Teraflex 1'' Coil Spacers Front and Rear.

I still have some goodies left to install which I just haven't had time to get to! They are a Cobra 75 (and other accessories that go with CBs), Rugged Ridge A-Pillar Switch Panel (with switches), LightForce 170's. Plus I have to still wire up my rear LoD tail lights.

[Update]
I got my Cobra 75 installed along with my RR A-Pillar Switch Panel, plus my LightForce 170's. Still haven't gotten my LoD rear tail lights hooked up yet. However, I discovered that I have them installed side ways so I am going to have to take the bumper off to fix them!

Blew my transmissions in the Jeep this summer, so it had to get rebuilt. Added the ORW JK Transmission Cooler, man that thing is beefy!

Also, I just got Evo Gussets, Sleeves installed along with 5.13's front and rear. I am currently in my break in period now!

Last edited by jsears; 12-12-2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build I can't wait to get bumpers and flat fenders!
Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default Great build!

Gives me some hope.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Dude, that story is better than little red riding hood.... seriously, I enjoyed reading it.... keep it coming.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is a very nice looking Jeep!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

VERY nice build.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just wanted to verify...... You never re-geared???????

2011 JKU black , all stock
Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black_JKU
Just wanted to verify...... You never re-geared???????

2011 JKU black , all stock
Nope. Never re-geared. Stock D30 running 4.10's.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

man that was actually entertaining thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

That rocks! Great build and story!

Quick Reply: JSEARS Build Thread