Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Joining the Hemi Club

Old 03-15-2009, 06:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining the Hemi Club

Well, I dropped off my toy with Gerry and the boys at SLC yesterday. My 2dr X model is going under the knife to drop in a 5.7L Hemi and 6spd manual transmission. They were finishing up another rig with a 6.1L Hemi when I got there - it was awesome!

I've already got a 3" Black Diamond lift and 35" KM2's. Otherwise, she's all stock.

I'm going to keep the stock 3.21 gears for now. I know this is a hot topic of debate but I'm very interested to see if 6th gear becomes useful with the increased torque of the motor at low rpm. Right now at 70 mph in 5th gear, I'm turning 2250 rpm. In 6th gear, it will be around 1750 rpm. 6th is totally useless with the 3.8L motor. If it still sucks, then I'll go ahead and drop bigger gears in. Will follow up with driving impressions once done.

Will post pics as soon as they are available.

Mike
Old 03-15-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Man you are going to love it! The BASEG you'll have might hurt for a few month, but you'll get over it sort of. You will learn to live with the pain. You will not have to tell your neighbors you had it done, they will ask "what did you do to th Jeep?" Now the real hard part is going to be the wait. You will suffer from Jeep withdrawal. This forum may actually help, for a short time, but each login you do here will make it a little harder to be without your Jeep.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Approx how long does it take to do the swap?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm interested also about drivability with a hemi and 3.21's on the highway. Might be a more worth while mod than changing my gears.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

The swap depending what you do with it is a good full week.

I think the higher gear may make a heck of a driver.

Gerry
Old 03-15-2009, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default welcome to the Hemi Club

Mike, The boys at Screaming Lizard Customs or should I say Hemi central will take very good care of your Jeep!!!!
Gerry and the Boys did an excellent job on my Jeep during the Hemi swap and will update you during the process. I was told that the Best Advertisements for any business is word of mouth will here you have my recommendation
The Crew at SLC Gerry,Eric and Adam will transform your Jeep to the Hemi- Fied
Jeep that should have been offered at the dealer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Costarica 09 105.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	20770  
Old 03-15-2009, 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Welcome to the HEMI club. That was my jeep you saw there. You are going to love the HEMI. And I don't think you could have chosen a better shop to do the work for you. Gerry, Adam and crew do the highest quality work.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default The SLC Hemi Club

RDY4RKS I have been following your build and that Jeep is one Bad A$$ Mofo!!! Gerry said you were Flying in on Sat. to test drive it.
The Hemi make the Jeep come alive Welcome to the Screaming Lizard Customs Hemi club!!!!

Last edited by TKJEEP; 03-15-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Man it is getting warm in Texas. I was just thinking that the 3.8L needs to go and a Hemi needs to be born in the JK.

Gerry
Old 03-18-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Gerry - I'm having withdrawal pains w/o my Jeep....HELP!

Quick Reply: Joining the Hemi Club