Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

jk unlimited with 6.1 srt8 engine anybody? please take 2 minutes and comments

Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jk unlimited with 6.1 srt8 engine anybody? please take 2 minutes and comments

i have buy the engine and have at my home, but i will put that engine only this winter.... i want to know from people that have already do the conversion about everything, cops, aev or burnsville, how hard it is to do the conversion, what tranny you use, what gear and tire you have, the feeling, the performance, the mpg.... everything you can tell to me will be really appreciate!!! thank you everybody
Old 08-02-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not sure what your local laws are but the engine needs to be newer than your jeep here in CA for it to be smogged. The 5.7 will bolt to a stock 6-speed. I don't know about the auto, and if it's strong enough to hold up. If you don't have a rubicon tcase you'd need an atlas as well. Hope this gets you started.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Newbie

i have a rubicon, and he is auto, the conversion company tell to use a dodge ram 1500 tranny. i live in Québec Canada and here it doesn't have any law about engine year for our swap so this is not a problem for me here. thanks buddy
Old 08-02-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

You will need a 545 5 speed auto transmission (you can find them with low miles in salvage yards). And a bunch of other parts. Power steering pump, alternator, starter, air conditionig compressor, etc. I used the AEV kit, not sure if it is best.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Newbie

my friend have a salvage yard, so it will be cheap for me to buy that tranny. i think i will go with burnsville, but i wait for impression about owner. how you like your jeep now with a hemi inside? and wich one you have, 5.7 or 6.1?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marybicon
my friend have a salvage yard, so it will be cheap for me to buy that tranny. i think i will go with burnsville, but i wait for impression about owner. how you like your jeep now with a hemi inside? and wich one you have, 5.7 or 6.1?
I have a 5.7 with the 6.1 srt8 cam. I would do it again in a heartbeat! the fun factor went from 5 to a 9. It ends up costing alot of money though!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

i know it cost a lot and thats for why i wait for next summer to ride it..... but belong this time i have a beautifull orange lounge table..... lol
Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree on the fun factor. Two years later, no regrets.

This guy did it at home;

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...emi-Conversion

Burnsville installation guide is online here (put the W's together);

w w w.scribd.com/doc/46979740/BOR-Hemi-Installation-Guide

I am still on stock drive train, tire height, no lift. Get between 13 mpg in 4wd winter rural driving to 17 expressway on flat terrain. Thats burning 93 octane.

You will break stuff even no lift/stock tires unless your careful in 4-lo. However, I have found it will go through sand,mud, and deep snow with little effort in hi range that required low range before.

The 545 tranny is not an ideal match for the 6.1, which came with the A580 behind it. However, unless you put a manual in, far as I know the 545 is all that is available with a conversion PCM. With the AEV computer anyways, there is a slight mismatch between the auto shifting at ideal 6.1 RPM/torque range at low speed. Very minor on mine, but I am stock with 4.10 gears. Others have complained about it being more pronounced. I suspect they might have had taller tires or gearing. Maybe Burnsville has better PCM tuning of the 6.1/545 shift points.

All that said, it is very streetable. It is a joy to tool along at 60, and for me, does fine for my mild offroad needs.

Be warned, if you nail it your passenger may leave finger imprints in the front grab bar. The 6.1 spins up fast and pulls hard.

Last edited by Yankee; 08-03-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yankee
Agree on the fun factor. Two years later, no regrets.

I am still on stock drive train, tire height no lift. Get between 13 mpg in 4wd winter rural driving to 17 expressway on flat terrain. Thats burning 93 octane.

You will break stuff even no lift/stock tires unless your careful in 4-lo. However, I have found it will go through sand,mud, and deep snow with little effort in hi range that required low range before.

The 545 tranny is not an ideal match for the 6.1, which came with the A580 behind it. However, unless you put a manual in, far as I know the 545 is all that is available with a conversion PCM. With the AEV computer anyways, there is a slight mismatch between the auto shifting at ideal 6.1 RPM/torque range at low speed. Very minor on mine, but I am stock with 4.10 gears. Others have complained about it being more pronounced. I suspect they might have had taller tires or gearing. Maybe Burnsville has better PCM tuning of the 6.1/545 shift points.

All that said, it is very streetable. It is a joy to tool along at 60, and for me, does fine for my mild offroad needs.

Be warned, if you nail it your passenger may leave finger imprints in the front grab bar. The 6.1 spins up fast and pulls hard.

Love that last sentence make me put more money in the HEMI fund
Old 08-12-2011, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

LĀCHES-TOI LOUSSE!!! do it do it

Quick Reply: jk unlimited with 6.1 srt8 engine anybody? please take 2 minutes and comments