Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Jk Towing

Old 04-14-2007, 10:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's quadruple in 4 low on sand, and 10x with swaybar disco'd, get a second trail rated badge and you can tow Noah's arc plus 28% cause its a boat.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man you know some of you guys are just ruthless. I mean if this guy wants to tow a giant boat so be it. as long as he is insured and feals he can handle it leave him alone. He was just letting us know what he had towed. Not that most companys dont under rate evrything any way. And dont even comlain about the spelling cause i know it suck but you get the point.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have no doubt that the Unlimited Wrangler, properly optioned out, can handle more then the rated towing load.
The extra long wheel base will work out great, the power may not be the greatest, but once you get it moving you'll be fine.
Stoping will be fine too if the trailer has brakes.

Towing with a Unlimited Wrangler is no different then towing with most of the SUV's out there now days.
I cant count how many times Ive see big'ol Ford SUV's and Suburbans with the bumper praticaly dragging on the ground while pulling some big trailer

I have a 21ft inboard Ski boat (about 3800 lbs) that Ive pulled with a 2wd 97' Dakota Sport with the old 3.9 V6 and it did just fine.
Then I bought a 00' Dakota R/T, and it pulled it better because it was a longer wheel base and had more power.

I plan to pull our boat with our new Rubicon and Im not even worried about it being able to do it.

Last edited by Eracer76; 04-15-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

it is well known that vehicals can pull more if what you are pulling is more aerodynamic...such as a boat. the weight sits on the trailer wheels, so a hill will hurt a little haha but What kills you the most in wind resistance..do some reading up on this boys.

jeepguru...i dont understand what your affraid of would you really honestly be scared ?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well I have towed all over the country with weights up to 15000lbs, and I reguarly tow my 23 ft boat that weighs approx 6500lbs and there is no way I would leave the driveway with it behind my JK. I'm sure it will pull it but I have lived the Lake all my life and have seen plenty of undersize SUV's and even cars towing boats they had no business towing in dicthes, into the rear bumpers of other vehicles, flipped over etc... I have been in a wreck towing my YJ back from Tellico where someone hit me from the side b/c they were going to fast for the conditions, had I been in a smaller vehicle I probably wouldn't be here.

I don't care what anyone tows I just don't want to be the one they hit when something goes wrong.

BTW I will fully agree that JK's will tow much better than TJ's anyday.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is per the Jeep tech support guys. The JK is limited to 3500 lbs properly equipped because the weakest link is the trans. This is why the Liberty has a tow rating of 5000 properly equipped. The Liberty has a stronger trans. Also the Liberty tow pkg. has heavy duty engine and steering coolers that the JK does not offer. Because of the limitations of the trans. the hitch was limited to a class 2 to equal the strength of the trans.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ranterbul
This is per the Jeep tech support guys. The JK is limited to 3500 lbs properly equipped because the weakest link is the trans. This is why the Liberty has a tow rating of 5000 properly equipped. The Liberty has a stronger trans. Also the Liberty tow pkg. has heavy duty engine and steering coolers that the JK does not offer. Because of the limitations of the trans. the hitch was limited to a class 2 to equal the strength of the trans.
The liberty and the JK have the same tranny, the 42RLE (automatic) I don't know who the Tech support guy is, but he is wrong....

Straight from a Jeep Engineer
The previous unlimited was rated at 3500lbs towing. In the process of developing the JK it was felt that 3500lbs towing was the right weight to balance performance with towing capacity
Linky http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388115

Last post on the page
Old 07-14-2007, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default Towing Weights

Well this is beginning to worry me, as in the UK the towing capacity with the unlimited is 3500 kg, so about 7700 lbs, not sure if we automatically get heavy duty axle, or coolers. As mine is an auto, and i want to use it for its full towing capacity, the same as i would my Land Rover, which is also 3500 kgs (overun braking system).

Any idea how i can tell if i have heavy duty cooler, or axle?

Regards, Ian (now developing nervous twitch)
Old 07-14-2007, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

If you are going to tow that heavy I would add an aftermarket trans cooler even if the factory put one in. B&M makes a nice one that has an electirc fan on it. It's not very expensive. Much cheaper than burning up the trans. And I would also switch to synthetic fluids. They tend to run cooler.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM
kewlwhip

very informative...Looking at one of these as an option, and towing ?'s where at the top of the list-

tia-

Quick Reply: Jk Towing