Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Jk Towing

Old 04-02-2007, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Txhrns08
The boat has a break system on it so it was not bad at all felt normal when it cam to stopping
Doesn't that mean the trailer had brakes?

Beel
Old 04-02-2007, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beel_MT
Doesn't that mean the trailer had brakes?

Beel
yes it does
Old 04-02-2007, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have a factory hitch or did you add it after the fact?

I ordered the factory hitch but I'm sure I won't be pulling anything as big as that boat. Very cool to see it in action.

Beel
Old 04-02-2007, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

its factory
Old 04-02-2007, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
You can double tow weights for boats, because they are more aerodynamic.
I hope you are kidding....
Old 04-02-2007, 08:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hurstrescue
I hope you are kidding....
Nope. I can't find any literature from Jeep, but Honda rates their vehicles differently for boats vs trailers.
http://www.carguidemagazine.com/arch...ests/honda.php
The Pilot qualifies as a low emission vehicle (LEV), and gets an efficient 13.8 L/100km city and 9.6 L/100km highway fuel consumption rating. Towing capacity is rated at 1588 kg with a trailer, 2041 kg with a boat (better aerodynamics).
So it is only 33% more, instead of double, but a few years ago Ford said double for their big V8s.
Either way, boats are a lot easier to tow than trailers.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:58 AM
JK Freak

According to your numbers, it is actually a 28% increase, which is much different than doubling your weight. I hate to tell you, but your Jeep does not know what you are towing. You can be towing a boat weighing 3000lbs, or a trailer full of bullshit weighing 3000lbs, it all weighs the same. Certainly aerodynamics are going help while pulling your boat at highway speeds, but it does not do much for stopping, or even pulling around town at low speeds.

You also risk mechanical failure of your hitch and/or other parts (suspension). They simply are not rated for doubling your weight.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hurstrescue
According to your numbers, it is actually a 28% increase, which is much different than doubling your weight. I hate to tell you, but your Jeep does not know what you are towing. You can be towing a boat weighing 3000lbs, or a trailer full of bullshit weighing 3000lbs, it all weighs the same. Certainly aerodynamics are going help while pulling your boat at highway speeds, but it does not do much for stopping, or even pulling around town at low speeds.

You also risk mechanical failure of your hitch and/or other parts (suspension). They simply are not rated for doubling your weight.
I'll agree to that. I was just saying that I had heard companies increasing their weights for both, and remembered Ford saying double, or something close. Then I found 1 example that disproves what you said, even if it wasn't double, 28% is a pretty big amount (I didn't take the time to calculate it, I used ~500 as the difference, and ~1500 as the original, and that is where the 33% was from). So while it might not know the difference from a standing start, a large amount of force comes from interstate driving.
Ok everyone, don't double it, but you can obviously tow more, as proven by this thread. Just don't blame me or Txhrns08 if parts fail.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

What did you guys do about the 4-pin harness on the JK? I assume you had to swap it out and replace it with a 7-pin to handle the brakes. And does the JK present any unique problems connecting a standard electronic brake controller? Which one are you using?

Lotsa questions, I know.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
Ok everyone, don't double it, but you can obviously tow more, as proven by this thread. Just don't blame me or Txhrns08 if parts fail.

This thread only proves some people will just tow anything they think they can. If I saw someone pulling a boat that size with a JK I would avoid them as fast as I could. Sure the vehicle will pull it and stop it but the doesn't mean it's safe! In a panic stop or maneuver you put yourself and everyone around you at risk.

Keep towing a nearly double the weight if you want to but let us know where you're going so we can stay off the roads.

Quick Reply: Jk Towing