Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

jk surfers: My solution to carry a 10 foot longboard in my jku w/without a soft top

Old 11-29-2012, 12:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I'd share this. 7 boards loaded up one day when I was moving. 4 longboards up top, a shortboard, fish and alai'a inside. No problem!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0162.jpg
Views:	2427
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	393242  
Old 01-03-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default newest mod

Click image for larger version

Name:	boardsrack.jpg
Views:	1669
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	405095
This is the newest modification to the rack. built a basket on top and made it so there could be two stacks of surfboards or a stack of surfboards with a kayak next to them. Too much crap to bring!

Originally Posted by dellpjJK
Several things I've tried...

I was lucky and found a kongo rack for 200 on Craigslist. I love the thing because I also carry canoes, SUPs, kayaks, 2x4s, 2x6s, 6x6s anything up there. I've had well over 500 lbs and it's done great. Kills mileage though by a mpg or two.

Before the rack...
I just put them between the seat head rests (for my short boards) and still can have 4 people in it.
I also made a rack out of a $50 rack I found at pep boys, worked great for boards, had 7 boards on at once and drove 7 hours each way to OBX. Drilled 4 holes in the hard top. Obviously didn't work with the soft top, but would put the top down and strap to the rollcage. Pics of boards on rollcage and congo rack.

Attachment 219997Attachment 219998Attachment 219999Attachment 220000Attachment 220001
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Here is my 2dr with 4 boards on, just using some matts and straps.

Name:	DSC_2410.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	405590
Old 01-05-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by johncantello
I've tried 2 different ways with a soft top and 9'6" board:
1. I purchased 2 steel bars about 3/4" dia. Can't recall the length but it allowed about an extra 2" overhang on each side of the jeep. I also purchased 1" dia pvc and cut about an inch shorter on each side I wrapped foam pad in the middle and tied each steel bar (inserted inside each 1" dia PVC) to the roll bar that runs along the length of the jeep. I tied with the door open and the doors easily closed. I then fastened the board to each bar like any other roof rack. The trick was to make sure the bars rested on the outside frame of the soft top. I drove from PA to OBX,NC with no issues. The rope and roll bars held the bars and board. Soft top didn't hold any force really.
2: I strung a rope inside my jeep with the soft top up. I hung one rope right behind the heads of the front passengers and a second rope just behind the heads of the rear passengers. The ropes were tied to the roll bars and dropped just enough to slide in the board with the rear window zipped out. Then snugged up the ropes so the board didn't swing. Worked great.
Back from the dead. Returning to the beach and need a solution to carry a 10 ft board while the soft top is up, without installing a huge gobi rack. Your #2 solution is genius!! It sounds like you suspended the board underneath the roll bars. Can you elaborate with more detail?
Old 01-05-2014, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by speedfreak
Back from the dead. Returning to the beach and need a solution to carry a 10 ft board while the soft top is up, without installing a huge gobi rack. Your #2 solution is genius!! It sounds like you suspended the board underneath the roll bars. Can you elaborate with more detail?
How thick is your board? I was able to shove my 9'2" between the top and roll bar before I got a Gobi without damaging the log.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd

How thick is your board? I was able to shove my 9'2" between the top and roll bar before I got a Gobi without damaging the log.
You're kidding. I'll check tomorrow if -21 doesn't freeze my tailgate closed.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

I use the new Front Runner load bar system with some of their stratchits and FCS pads. Works really well with my 9'2" but you gotta be willing to drill into your roof for the tracks.

Name:	photo (4).jpg
Views:	869
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	521757
Old 01-06-2014, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Joe with the flow
I use the new Front Runner load bar system with some of their stratchits and FCS pads. Works really well with my 9'2" but you gotta be willing to drill into your roof for the tracks.
Attachment 521757
Very cool. Ever carry your board with the soft top up? I would like to find a solution for that.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:09 PM
JK Newbie

This is what I ended going with for my SUP on my JKUR.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...5/#post4109469

Quick Reply: jk surfers: My solution to carry a 10 foot longboard in my jku w/without a soft top