Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

jk surfers: My solution to carry a 10 foot longboard in my jku w/without a soft top

Old 03-13-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is how it works with the top down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3313599155.jpg
Views:	2680
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	137306  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Why do you need the bike rack? Since the board is covered, why couldn't you just let it sit on top of the spare tire and secure it to the wheel? Just curious.

I'm trying to figure out how to carry my 14' Ocean Kayak with the top up... With the top down, I would just strap it to the roll bar. Here in South Florida it pours just about every afternoon in the Summer and I would hate to get hit with my top down in a downpour.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by holy_crap
Why do you need the bike rack? Since the board is covered, why couldn't you just let it sit on top of the spare tire and secure it to the wheel? Just curious.

I'm trying to figure out how to carry my 14' Ocean Kayak with the top up... With the top down, I would just strap it to the roll bar. Here in South Florida it pours just about every afternoon in the Summer and I would hate to get hit with my top down in a downpour.
I already had the bike rack, so I used what I had before spending money on something else. If the 3rd brake light wasn't there I would rest the board on the tire. I'm not so sure the brake light would support the weight of the surfboard driving down the highway.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by higgins14
seriously... if it would do that, i wouldn't have to worry about. i love this jeep, but i wish the engineers put a little more though into it. i hear that the patriot also has a removable dome light. who couldn't use an extra flashlight?
Yup - the removable flashlight is a good Patriot feature, as well as plastic on the seat backs so when you fold them forward you have a good cargo surface. Headlights are H13 like the wrangler but someone actually designed the buckets to throw light. Etc etc...

Before anyone says "So why don't you buy a Patriot?" I already have one.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

I'm hauling surfboards and kayaks on my 2dr regularly. I have the Warrior watersports rack and it is fine. It may not look the best and you have to drill the body to install it, but it gets the job done. The only thing with this rack is that to safely (for the board, not the Jeep) mount your boards and add pads, you wanna grind off the light bar tabs from this rack. This rack holds my boys 6'6" and my Fisher 8'6" as well as our other boards with no worries. Will post pics of the setup when I get the chance.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JB7JEEP
Hey Higgins,
Fellow NH surfer here. I too will be trying to figure out how to carry my 10' G&S with my soft top on and off my JKU. I have considered the Gobi rack, not sure yet.
Thanks for the ideas guys...
Jon
i am so jealous that you live in rye, after heading up to the wall and jenness a bunch in the last few years as i have been learning how to surf, i really like it up in rye.

the gobi racks seem like a great solution, but i 2 main concerns/ questions... 1) do they make dropping the soft top more of a pita, and 2) with the top down, the rack must whistle a ton. i used to have a thule rack with the fairing on my old wrx wagon... I took the fairing off to clean off dripping surf wax. i couldn't believe how loud the whistling noise was from the rack on the highway without that little piece of plastic.

I am psyched that there seems to be a little discussion here about methods to mount the boards with a soft top up. hopefully all the other jk forum surfers will find there way here to chime in with what works for them. I am pretty happy with my quick solution, i know it will work well enough for me... but i am up for any other ideas that will work better.
-Chris
Old 03-15-2011, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JB7JEEP
Hi Chris,
My understanding with the Gobi rack is that with their quick front disconnects it's a matter of pulling 2 pins and tilting the rack back for soft top up and down. The front section of the rack is open (you can buy an additional piece to fill it in if needed). They just came out with some front wind deflectors that cut down the noise significantly. Nearly everyone that has them loves them and says they are built tough. They aren't cheap, but made well. Also, Thule and Yakima mounts, clamps, etc will bolt right on (ie: surfboard mounts!). Alpha Expedition sells them or they can be purchased direct from Gobi. I surf Straw's Point and Jenness spring, summer, and fall, usually mornings and nights, depending on the conditions and crowd. We should hook up when/if it EVER warms up! I have a new 9' WRV quad fin that I'm dying to try out!

Jon

Those gobi racks look sweet!!!! but i could not believe the price. They seem like they are rock solid and well worth the cash if you need one.

I would love to meet up when there is surf. My son just turned 1 last week, so i haven't been in the water too much in the past ...well... year. Now that he is older, i can head up when there is surf without feeling too bad for leaving the house. I am a teacher, so i would like to start heading up after school a few times a week when there is surf. My wife also teaches and loves the beach, so we plan on heading to the beach whenever possible.

The water really wasn't that cold the other day... swellinfo said 40 degrees, but i was comfortable in my 5/4/3 wetsuit w/ hood and booties and gloves.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

I have been putting my long board on top of my soft top with a rolled up towel under the center bow for support for years without issue (the board is inside a soft board bag), then I just use a few bungies to hold it down.

I am getting a Stand Up Paddle board and I a bit concerned that maybe it will be too much weight for this setup, esp if I decide to bring the long board as well.

I am not real big on any of the rack solutions I am seeing here, just dont like the looks & I think they are over kill for a 30lb board.

My thought is to get a front light bar & put a pad on it, and a hitch mount bar that goes up like a goal post for the rear. I have not been able to find the hitch mount bar anywhere, does anyone make one? (I saw the tire mount deal, looks really lame.....esp for $400-)

EDIT: I found the Thule Goalpost Adjustable Watersport Carrier for the hitch

Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited by RacerXS; 04-06-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been putting 2 paddle boards on my soft top and holding then down with a set of baja straps from Dakine. No problems at all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1687248630.jpg
Views:	1102
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	177862  
Old 07-03-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

for mine I'll just got topless and hang it out the back and tie it down with straps. I've got 8'6 so its big but not a 10 footer

Quick Reply: jk surfers: My solution to carry a 10 foot longboard in my jku w/without a soft top