Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

jk surfers: My solution to carry a 10 foot longboard in my jku w/without a soft top

Old 03-13-2011, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry jk surfers: My solution to carry a 10 foot longboard in my jku w/without a soft top

i realize there is a pretty small group of people on this forum that surf... but this has been discussed in a few threads, but none of the solutions really worked for me. With the top down or the hard top, carrying surfboards is easy enough. I wanted a solution for transporting the board when the soft top was up. Obviously, as my pictures, the hard top is still on (we still have snow) because i wanted to make sure everything worked on the way to the beach... when i mount the soft top in a few weeks, all i will have to do is roll up the back window.

The solution: rear seats folded flat, front seat pushed all the way forward, a thule "spare me" bike rack, a foam block typically used when putting a canoe on the roof of a vehicle.

The foam block on the top of the bike rack raises the board high enough so there is no weight on the rear brake light... it is hard to tell in the pics. The surf board sticks out the back a bit, but not really any farther than the bike rack extended with two bikes on it. My trip to the beach is about 15 min of highway and 20 min of back roads, and everything was secure. I didn't love having the back glass open, but it all seemed to work out ok.

Last edited by higgins14; 03-13-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm am thinking of a solution for my SWB. I am thinking of getting a light bar and Thule makes a hitch rear support I saw in a canoe thread. I recently moved back to the beach so my motivation has died, but for a long surf trip I can't have them hanging out the back window with only 3ft inside.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ECHO
You need to make a rook rack carrier.. .. Good idea though
this is my attempt at not needing one of those safari racks... i just wouldn't have a use besides carting around the surf boards. i only go canoeing or kayaking when the weather is relatively nice so the top is down.

i thought about the idea of a light bar rack and one of those rear hitch things, and if using the bike rack didn't work, that is what i would have probably done. it just seems like it would be expensive.

this is not the most convenient way to do this, i can't really have a passenger. if my wife and 1 year old are also coming to the beach, we would just take her outback. it will work well enough for the days with the soft top up. with the top down, i can strap the boards to the front window and roll bar easy enough.

maddogsurfer81: this probably wouldn't work on a 2-door. does your front seat recline enough so you can have the nose of the board all the way down to the passenger foot well? remember that i have a ridiculously long 10 footer for the new hampshire surf. if you have anything shorter, you might be able to work something out. btw, isn't the water around daytona known for shark attacks? be carefull out there.

Last edited by higgins14; 03-13-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

FCS Soft Pads work with your hard top on or off. And the double pad will let you carry a four-stick quiver with all four surfers (or just one really good one) and gear riding inside.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

lol, there is snow where your surfing?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 6.5 fish and a 11'9. They hang out too much. On a real short trip I just wedge the noise under the seats.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by el mono
FCS Soft Pads work with your hard top on or off. And the double pad will let you carry a four-stick quiver with all four surfers (or just one really good one) and gear riding inside.
that is my plan with the top down or the hard top on. someone in another thread said that they just keep the pads strapped to the roll bar even without boards and they don;t get in the way. the solution solution i posted today is for when it is too cold or rainy for the top to be down. i don;t like the idea of strapping the boards on top of the soft top. i just tried out this idea with the hard top on so if it didn;t work, i would just strap the boards on the hard top and then come up for a new plan with the soft top up.

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
lol, there is snow where your surfing?
sure, there are great days in the fall (hurricane season), winter and spring. The bonus is that the water is also the least crowded. i couln't help but laugh the first time i was surfing in a quick snow flurry

Originally Posted by MADDOGsrfr81
I have a 6.5 fish and a 11'9. They hang out too much. On a real short trip I just wedge the noise under the seats.
is the 11'9 an SUP? i though my 10'er was big. an 11'9 would definitely have to go on the roof of a jku too. any canoe setup would probably work for you.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sup? It's just a conventional longboard. I've been debating on a canoe or jetski, so if I go canoe that rooftop setup would be dual purpose.

I'm also wanting a paddle board
Old 03-13-2011, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

If the front seat folded flat it would buy you a few more feet, if you didn't need the passenger seat. I don't know why it's not a feature. Even the Patriot has this.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
If the front seat folded flat it would buy you a few more feet, if you didn't need the passenger seat. I don't know why it's not a feature. Even the Patriot has this.
seriously... if it would do that, i wouldn't have to worry about. i love this jeep, but i wish the engineers put a little more though into it. i hear that the patriot also has a removable dome light. who couldn't use an extra flashlight?

Originally Posted by MADDOGsrfr81
Sup? It's just a conventional longboard. I've been debating on a canoe or jetski, so if I go canoe that rooftop setup would be dual purpose.

I'm also wanting a paddle board
SUP= stand up paddle board. i tried one once, it was fun... but alot of board to handle. i would like to give it a try again.

Quick Reply: jk surfers: My solution to carry a 10 foot longboard in my jku w/without a soft top