Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

JK secure cargo area build

Old 04-22-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Inspired by a few other builds by others I decided to build a "cargo cover" for my JKs cargo area. The goals were to be able store stuff "securely", have the top deck be usable (not done yet), look half-way decent (ie not look like crap) and not interfere with either the soft or hard tops. A few pictures / comments:

I didn't get any earlier pics but I basically used large pieces of cardboard and cut out templates until the fit was good. Then I transfered the shaped to some 5/8" plywood, cut it out, sanded the edges and painted with some nice (cheap) barn red paint. Here are the pieces installed:
Hey Indy any chance I could maybe get a set of templates? I would love to do a box out of stainless and that would save some time?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

i used a truck bed liner and cut it to size and used a few screws with washers to hold it down when the top is down so i don's lose it in the wind ill post some pics this weekend when the weather is nice and the top goes missing
Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 AM
JK Super Freak

love the look. very cool
Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks Good!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KCFIRE187
Hey Indy any chance I could maybe get a set of templates?
The templates were made out of cardboard and are long gone... I only used the the templates for the rollbar/seatbelt cut-out. The steps I used were:

1) used a contour gauge (examples here) to get the general shape
2) transferred the shaped to a piece of cardboard and cut it out. Test fitted/cut more as needed
3) cut the plywood so that it was the correct height (front to back) but wider than it needed to be (hanging over each side of jeep)
4) placed the plywood on top of the jeep tub and up against rollbar/seatbelt to mark where template needed to line up
5) using the above mark put the template down on the plywood and traced the shape. then cut the plywood using a jigsaw (NOTE: you only need one template - flip upside down for the other side)
6) test fit on the jeep and cut more as needed
7) once the cut-outs were good put the plywood back on jeep and from underneath traced against the edge of the tub
8) cut the sides off, test fit and cut more as needed

Hope that helps
Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

The rack was delivered today so spent an hour putting it on. For the most part it fits as I expected it would. Here's a pic with the soft top down (it will look a little better when I add the little velcro tie downs for the softtop frame):

There is slight interference with the soft top frame - eventually I'll take a heat gun to the corners and push them down a little:

Here's a side view with the top up (windows out):

Here's a rear view with the top up (windows out):
Old 04-27-2009, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

That looks great....solid work
Old 04-28-2009, 02:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
The rack was delivered today so spent an hour putting it on. For the most part it fits as I expected it would.
Indy, great minds....I just had the Bestop/Highrock cargo basket delivered to go above the rear duster on my 4-door. Are you fabbing the mounting brackets ?

It is a tight fit with the soft-top down but necessity of more cargo room means ill get it installed.

Highrock doesn't make brackets for a 4-door because the 45 degree angle of the rear roll bars gave them headaches, so I ordered their brackets for a 2007-2009 2-door and when get a chance will modify them to fit.

Will share details as and when get the cargo basket properly mounted. Cheers for sharing your set-up, great work.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

That's an awesome job. Looks great. Now it's time to hone my woodworking skills.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by westchester
Are you fabbing the mounting brackets ?
For now I have bolts through the plywood deck into the rack holding it on/down - this assumes that those nuts that are molded into the rack will stay put. If it seems like the nuts will work loose than I'll have to figure out a clamp that holds down on the rack itself.

Quick Reply: JK secure cargo area build