Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

JK secure cargo area build

Old 04-21-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK secure cargo area build

Inspired by a few other builds by others I decided to build a "cargo cover" for my JKs cargo area. The goals were to be able store stuff "securely", have the top deck be usable (not done yet), look half-way decent (ie not look like crap) and not interfere with either the soft or hard tops. A few pictures / comments:

I didn't get any earlier pics but I basically used large pieces of cardboard and cut out templates until the fit was good. Then I transfered the shaped to some 5/8" plywood, cut it out, sanded the edges and painted with some nice (cheap) barn red paint. Here are the pieces installed:

Another view showing some of the cut outs:

Behind the seats:

I don't have the tools/knowledge for much metal work so the frame is made out of wood and is beefy enough to hold any weight put on top of the deck. It can't all be seen but there is a piece of angle iron running across the middle with custom "feet" catching the lip of the tub on each side. That plus small pieces in each corner (with the same "feet") keep the box from coming (or being lifted) out. A view of the inside:

Finally, put some cargo carpet (from Wal-Mart) down over the wood (what a pain in the butt):

All told I have about $60-80 into it at the moment. I have a cargo rack ordered that I plan on mounting on top of the deck to put stuff in (and tie down to). All in all I'm happy with it. If the carpet doesn't hold up I might try to herculine it at some point.

If I were to do it all over again I would probably try to minimize the internal frame - try to keep it all high up on the wheel wells. Regardless, I love being able to stop at the store and not having to worry about stuff that I've tucked down on the floor (or lugging it around with me).
Old 04-21-2009, 03:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is plain awesome. strong work.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow that looks great, never thought about the carpet. I have been drawing up similar plans for a metal inclosure just like that one.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very very nice
Old 04-21-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Freak

nice craftsmanship. the carpet really makes it look integrated.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Great finish with the carpet. IMO the wood just didn't look it's place on the jeep. Looks great though! I went the easy way and bought the mopar add a trunk.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

How did you get it around the roll bar?
Old 04-21-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks nice, I'm wanting to do something similar, but not as big. I gotta leave room for my dog to sleep on trips.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WilliamAWebb
How did you get it around the roll bar?
Plywood: The top deck is made out of two pieces - each piece has 'half" of the required cut out for the rollbar/seatbelt mechinism and they clamp together (kind of like medieval stocks). This picture shows the seam (circled in yellow):

Carpet: The carpet is one piece for the top deck with the hole for rollbar/seatbelt cut out and a cut from that hole out to the edge. The one visible mistake is that I messed up the cut on the drivers side so there is small square patch (which is visible). The passenger side came out like it was supposed to and you can't see the seem unless you look specifically for it.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

with the carpet it looks totally stock, very cool. great mod

Quick Reply: JK secure cargo area build