Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

JK kayak carrier

Old 09-28-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK kayak carrier

First road test hauling two kayaks. 500 miles round trip at mostly interstate speeds. Worked great!

Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi

That looks great. How hard was it to load/unload the kayaks? How much was it if you don't mind my asking?
Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by interceptor_1972
That looks great. How hard was it to load/unload the kayaks? How much was it if you don't mind my asking?
It is very easy to load and unload. But, I'm 6'2" and my kayaks only weigh 36lbs ea. I just stand on the side and lift the kayak up there. If they were heavier then I guess two people could load from the side or place the front of the kayak on the back of the rack and slide it forward? Still shouldn't be hard.

I bought a Wild Boar rack for around $450 and just didn't get the cargo carrier. The rack is well constructed and I really like it. I looked at different ways to mount the kayaks but finally just bought some 1 1/2 pipe insulation to wrap the rack where the kayaks sit. Then I just take two ratchet straps to secure the kayaks. No problems! I like it cause I can also haul the kayaks with the JK top removed!
Old 09-28-2009, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi

Not too bad. I recently sold my 2 kayaks since we seldom took them out and it was just taking up space in the garage. Mine were approx. 45lbs each [one was a touch heavier]. Someday I might go back to getting a kayak again - 'course, I'm right at 6' and with a 4" lift and 35s, my JK also sits up a lil high.

Thanks for the info though Sure looks nice
Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good. If you wanted a more secure setup, you could easily add some Yakima RailGrab's and a couple of bars to mount attachments to. You could (fairly easily) remove them when not in use or if you wanted a fully unobstructed open top. Not sure your current setup would work with only one kayak since your only tie down points are at each side of the rack.

I had a full Yakima rack on my old Pathfinder that I traded in for the Jeep. I planned on purchasing the KargoMaster Congo Cage and installing this setup. Ultimately, I just felt like it would make me not want to put the soft top down as much, which is one of the reasons I got the Jeep with the soft top in the first place. I like how the Wild Boar allows you to fully take down the soft top without having to move the rack (if you get it without the cage like you did). I just don't like how you have to drill into the body. If they went down to the frame like the Kargo Master or the Garvin products, I'd get it.

So for now, I just use my Yakima BowDown's on my Nissan Armada (which is a major PITA by myself since the BowDown's are side loading and the Armada is tall with the factory rack positioned more to the inside of the roof) until something better comes along.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Grand Isle???
Old 10-08-2009, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

How is the wind noise without the yaks?

Quick Reply: JK kayak carrier