Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

JK hudraulic assist steering? PSC?

Old 06-16-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK hudraulic assist steering? PSC?

who makes a steering assist kit for a JK?
Old 06-16-2009, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is what I ordered for my JK. It had some good reviews so I figured that I would give it a shot. I just ordered it today, but I will post a review once it is installed.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sk255-...ej6goo9eai8ii7

Last edited by Robar; 06-17-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hot Duck
This is what I ordered for my JK. It had some good reviews so I figured that I would give it a shot. I just ordered it today, but I will post a review once it is installed.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sk255-...ej6goo9eai8ii7
Are you doing it, or having some one else do it?

Last edited by Robar; 06-17-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sport-atv
who makes a steering assist kit for a JK?
I have the PSC, have it installed and have used it in the rocks and love it. However the kit is expensive and you don't necessarily need the whole kit. The 1700 kit includes a new steering box, new PS pump and new PS resevoir in addition to the cylinder, hoses and brackets. If you haven't sheared the sector shaft in your steering gear box you don't need a new box. You can pull yours off and send it to them and they will rebuild it and tap it for the hyd hoses. On a relatively new vehicle you shouldn't need to replace the PS pump or resevoir either. When I was investigating whether to go with the PSC unit or the RedNeck Ram I had several people tell me to go with RedNeck because they had had problems with the PSC PS pump. At any rate you can get what you really need for about 650-675 which is a substantial savings. It also makes the install much easier as the only real bitch is bolting the steering gear box back up and attaching the hoses to it (well it was for me and my big paws!).

Whichever way you go I highly recommend ram assist steering. It will keep your sector shaft from shearing, allow you to steer in tough situations and damn near eliminate bump steer. The only downside is that it is a bit more sensitive to your input on the highway and has a slightly reduced on-center feel. For my use it is perfect. FWIW I got and suggest getting the 1.75" ram unless you're running 34" or smaller tires.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

Call HOWE Performance and talk to Jeff. They by far make the best hydro assist and full hydro setups available....look at what Shannon Campbell and top guys are running. With this being a street system I would make sure you buy the right thing. There's a lot of internal work to the pumps and steering box that must be done so they work with each other. That will make the difference on whether or not this is the best thing or worst thing you will do to your Jeep.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the PSC kit. It works great for what I use it for - really helps on the big rocks. As mentioned above, it is sensitive to input on road and you will loose some road feel but to me the benefits off road are well worth it. If you have more questions you could call Gerry down at Screaming Lizard Customs. They installed mine and sell the PSC JK kit.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seer1
Are you doing it, or having some one else do it?
I am having somebody else do it. I am waiting for a pair of the Currie Dana 60s to arrive, so we will wait and do the PSC install when we swap the axles.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

We strongly promote PSC Motorsports and there product. I personally know all the guys at Psc and believe in there steering products, customer service, and importance in the off-road community. Heres some JK photos. Adam

Old 06-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Old 06-18-2009, 07:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be aware, if you're doing it yourself, it comes without instructions. Quality kit as you'll ever see, but some advice would've saved a great deal of time. Write up coming soon to a forum near you. BTW those Screamin Lizard folks are a quality act in themselves. Thanks for all your help Eric!

Quick Reply: JK hudraulic assist steering? PSC?