Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

jerry can mounting methods????

Old 10-10-2010, 12:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07XMan2Door
Bolt on hitches for these JK's are very affordable & don't hurt your andle of departure much. Also, when I'm packin cans I'm usually doing more trail rides that don't require sliding off of rocks.
As far as the diesel smell in your surplus cans. Frankly, I don't care for the smell of unleaded either. Just fill er up, put the cap on & quit smelling it.
Who makes this and where do we find it?
Old 10-10-2010, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
How do you open the tailgate? Or you don't.
This mounts into the hitch which prohibits the use of the gate w/o removal. Really hasn't been to big of deal for me. I just have to remember to remove the rear cubby cover when I use it due to the fact that the gate locks it in place and that all of my recovery gear is in there.

Originally Posted by jtjk
excuse the ignorance but how does this setup work, were does it attach to ? did you make it or can i go buy one. that is one of the best solutions i have seen as you dont need a new rear bumper
Thanks. I love the fact that you don't have to buy a heavy aftermarket bumper as well. I made it myself, using heavt duty hitch tubing for the part that slides into the hitch, and thin wall tubing for the rest. The cans sit on 3/16th steel plates with bed frame angle iron pieces to prevent slipage. 1/8th inch rubber under the cans.

Originally Posted by aermotor
Who makes this and where do we find it?
Home made.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07XMan2Door
This mounts into the hitch which prohibits the use of the gate w/o removal. Really hasn't been to big of deal for me. I just have to remember to remove the rear cubby cover when I use it due to the fact that the gate locks it in place and that all of my recovery gear is in there.

Thanks. I love the fact that you don't have to buy a heavy aftermarket bumper as well. I made it myself, using heavt duty hitch tubing for the part that slides into the hitch, and thin wall tubing for the rest. The cans sit on 3/16th steel plates with bed frame angle iron pieces to prevent slipage. 1/8th inch rubber under the cans.

Home made.
thats awesome man!! good job putting something like that together - im yet to see a parts company come up with something like that.
though i am sad that i cant order one.

if you dont mind could you share with more detail how to make that thing, i would love to create something similar but am not the DIY savvy and would need a for dummies instruction list.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jtjk
thats awesome man!! good job putting something like that together - im yet to see a parts company come up with something like that.
though i am sad that i cant order one.

if you dont mind could you share with more detail how to make that thing, i would love to create something similar but am not the DIY savvy and would need a for dummies instruction list.
, I'll help you all I can. My suggestion would be to take this pic to your local welder. He'll be able to hook you up.
Don't want to Hi-jack the OP's thread. Any chit chat with me can be done here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-JK-cheap-mods

Last edited by 07XMan2Door; 12-02-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

Check this thing out. Its not my cup of tea but may be a solution for your needs.

hxxp://w ww.youtube.com/watch?v=r5pfla75sJQ
Old 12-02-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Velton
Check this thing out. Its not my cup of tea but may be a solution for your needs.
There is a wealth of info on this site & elsewhere. Thanks for posting!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Velton

That is cool and all but for $750 I'd just replace the bumper and add a tire/can carrier.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All square tubing, piece of cake to make. Thats a great garage project.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer this (it is mine, OR-Fab)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	orfab.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	106686  
Old 12-03-2010, 08:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKMoses
I prefer this (it is mine, OR-Fab)
how much is that carrier rates to hold, cuz i was thinking about getting it, but it juts mounts to where the tailgate is.....

Quick Reply: jerry can mounting methods????