Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

JEEP HDR's

Old 01-06-2010, 10:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those VW pics are insane... I just picked up my first Leica... trying to figure things out....
I had a D5000, just got into HDR then switched to a German camera.... the lens seems to have a different coating or something the pictures come out awesome, but different then my Nikon D40 and Nikon D5000 days....
Old 01-06-2010, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dxbjeep
I wouldn't say "oh dear" I think the photo's look pretty cool, something different from the norm.

Maybe there not perfect HDR's. But the photo's were taken by my brother, wh's only 15, its his first go at trying HDR, so I think its not bad for a 15yr old to be able to produce images like that. Instead of bashing his pics how about giving some small tips which may be able to help him produce better pics in the future

As for the HDR's of the trees, they look cool, but I can see the same halo that appears around the jeep photo's
The biggest tip? Less is more. The sliders while messing with tone mapping/HDR in Photomatix and CS3/CS4 Merge to HDR are there for tuning. Maxing them out or going crazy with them will create the photos like the ones in this thread. Taking it easy on them and having it looks more natural and not so bright and cartooney will give it a better look.

True HDR doesn't jump out and say "Look at me I am an HDR Photo".

HDR that doesn't look like a cartoon. Even the dark corners of the Cathedral are properly exposed but the highlight of the sun shining through the stained glass are properly exposed as well...

HDR is just too easily attached to an image today when it is not actually HDR but just an over edited tone mapped image. Here is some recent work I did while Urban Exploring... Still HDR, still mutli exposure but doesn't look like it was over done.

Last edited by mdywglr4x4; 01-06-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

^^Perfect example of "proper" HDR useage.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdywglr4x4
The biggest tip? Less is more. The sliders while messing with tone mapping/HDR in Photomatix and CS3/CS4 Merge to HDR are there for tuning. Maxing them out or going crazy with them will create the photos like the ones in this thread. Taking it easy on them and having it looks more natural and not so bright and cartooney will give it a better look.

True HDR doesn't jump out and say "Look at me I am an HDR Photo".

HDR that doesn't look like a cartoon. Even the dark corners of the Cathedral are properly exposed but the highlight of the sun shining through the stained glass are properly exposed as well...

Agreed, Im not a huge fan of the cartoon look either, the pic above is nice and understated, but still shows just enough to be a bit different
Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gunslinger
HDR photography is pretty cool. They aren't Jeeps, but I took these yesterday at -2/0/+2 exposures with a Canon EOS 20D. I use Photomatix Pro...very simple software to use....and Photoshop CS4.
This is one place where a problem comes in for many who are in the learning phase. The HDR is not simply created with a -2/0/+2. It might be less or it might be more. You might need 6 exposures. 5 exposures to make it be correct. You have to look at the scene. Use your camera and the histogram to confirm what you are shooting is getting what you need. Then when you get home and merge them you actually are creating an HDR.

The tree shots above appear to have been taken during the day. A single exposure for the tree and a single exposure for the sky(probably more than -2) is all that is needed for this for a properly done shot.

Originally Posted by Reverend
^^Perfect example of "proper" HDR useage.
Thanks. The 1st one I cannot take credit for because I stole it from google The 2nd and 3rd shot are from a trip of Urban Explorer. Still not very good at creating a really good HDR but I think those are my 2 best.

*EDIT EDIT*

I don't mean to come off 'mean' or 'angry' but as a photographer I just get into rant mode when stuff about photography come up Sorry guys. Happy to help and provide feedback and tips if asked.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
JK Junkie

WOW the camera can do it in the camera... Im going to find something to compose... takean in camera made HDR and post the results.... see what the pros say BTW I am no pro. just some terd that bought a camera
Old 01-06-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

It has become increasingly popular so the entry level and some prosumer models have offered it as a auto exposure bracketing. Some will go further and actually merge and create an image.

I haven't researched or looked at the results so would be interesting to actually see.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Junkie

well I was lucky enough to be a loser and bought my aluminum macbook before they added the SD card slot and my USB wire is at home.. anyways uploaded 2 videos of a PnS Leica taking an on board HDR, and another of it taking autobracketed photos.

ON board HDR..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn9iGwrs7iE

and auto bracketing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjxFNu8XRxE

I used my iPhone for the video so bare with me....

Quick Reply: JEEP HDR's