Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

JEEP HDR's

Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunslinger
Those do look like tone mapped photos from a single exposure, however, an HDR photo can be made to look cartoony as well.
They 'can' be but in the photographer's tool bag it is normally not. When you see a true HDR you go 'damn' that is amazing. When you see a tone mapped 'multiple exposure' shot like those in this thread the photographer in my go "oh dear".
Old 01-06-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

A little off subject, can some one enplain how I can take a HDR. i have a Nikon d40. Also whats the best progra to use for photo editing?

Thanks
Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gutter21
A little off subject, can some one enplain how I can take a HDR. i have a Nikon d40. Also whats the best progra to use for photo editing?

Thanks

Certainly

First read this so you get an idea of what you are actually trying to accomplish:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging

Basically waht you are doing is taking a photo that exposes the highlights properly, all the shadow properly and then a 'base' exposure. You can set the camera to take an under exposed or over exposed. Then you use CS3 or photomatix or similar program that will allow you to merge the images together to create a complete image.

Here is a decent DIY that really shows what you are doing:
http://www.talkingtree.com/blog/inde...ake-hdr-images

Expose the sky, expose the middle, expose the fore ground... merge. Bam!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

HDR photography is pretty cool. They aren't Jeeps, but I took these yesterday at -2/0/+2 exposures with a Canon EOS 20D. I use Photomatix Pro...very simple software to use....and Photoshop CS4.

Last edited by Gunslinger; 01-06-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdywglr4x4
They 'can' be but in the photographer's tool bag it is normally not. When you see a true HDR you go 'damn' that is amazing. When you see a tone mapped 'multiple exposure' shot like those in this thread the photographer in my go "oh dear".

I wouldn't say "oh dear" I think the photo's look pretty cool, something different from the norm.

Maybe there not perfect HDR's. But the photo's were taken by my brother, wh's only 15, its his first go at trying HDR, so I think its not bad for a 15yr old to be able to produce images like that. Instead of bashing his pics how about giving some small tips which may be able to help him produce better pics in the future

As for the HDR's of the trees, they look cool, but I can see the same halo that appears around the jeep photo's
Old 01-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Former Member

Going to have to give this a "shot" myself (pun!). I've always found VW guys to be good HDR'ers.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=nlgrav182;1500720]Going to have to give this a "shot" myself (pun!). I've always found VW guys to be good HDR'ers.

That my friend is a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet pic
Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Those VW pics are awesome!!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dxbjeep
I wouldn't say "oh dear" I think the photo's look pretty cool, something different from the norm.

Maybe there not perfect HDR's. But the photo's were taken by my brother, wh's only 15, its his first go at trying HDR, so I think its not bad for a 15yr old to be able to produce images like that. Instead of bashing his pics how about giving some small tips which may be able to help him produce better pics in the future

As for the HDR's of the trees, they look cool, but I can see the same halo that appears around the jeep photo's
I agree the Jeep photos look good to me. Pretty cool...
Old 01-06-2010, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Turn down the damn tone mapping, people. The VW in the underpass is the only correctly done HDR.

Last edited by Reverend; 01-06-2010 at 10:23 AM.

Quick Reply: JEEP HDR's