Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Jeep is Gone!

Old 06-16-2009, 10:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you went through this ok. The pics stuck in my mind and I had to search to find the thread. There were a couple things that stood out in the pict.

1. It looks like the Jeep probably did an endo which is why the crease down the center of the roll bar. That is what weakened the cage to allow it to bend sideways as much as it did.

2. Do not buy the same wheels for the new Jeep. I can't remember seeing wheels coming apart like those did, not even at 100mph. They split way too easily and the rear one looks like it was ripped off the axle. The front one I'd give away as it probably hit the rail, but still it just split.

Yes, thank God you were spared.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unbelievable Glad you are OK and back in saddle.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Glad you are ok, and yes you were meant to do something later in your life.

I dont know why people are surprised the roll or sport bars didnt hold up, they arent designed to handle a highway rollover I am sure, It is not made for stunts in a movie, more for low speed layovers.

Even so, they did protect more than any other SUV would have!

Again, glad you are ok. The JK did give its life for you, and it would want you to enjoy your new one!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chumpmann
Glad you are ok, and yes you were meant to do something later in your life.

I dont know why people are surprised the roll or sport bars didnt hold up, they arent designed to handle a highway rollover I am sure, It is not made for stunts in a movie, more for low speed layovers.

Even so, they did protect more than any other SUV would have!

Again, glad you are ok. The JK did give its life for you, and it would want you to enjoy your new one!
I think you're right on this as to the purpose of the bar in the JK. Is there anything available for purchase of the showroom floor today that would have done better (for less than mega-buck supercars)? The question is what can we do to improve upon it? I'm sure we could go to a shop that builds racing vehicles and have them fabricate, at substantial expense, a cage that would easily survive the accident the OP was in. Given the economy today most can't or won't go in that direction. And given that it could reduce the utility, ease of ingrees/egress use of the Freedom Tops etc many may not want to go that way even if money were not an issue.

Right now it seems to come down to the RockHard at 599 as an affordable and doable option. The question is will it add enough strength? I don't think I'm so much concerend with the clamps it uses but the strength of where it ties in.

Have there been any instances of a JK with a ockHard unit being ivolved in a severe accident or roll over either on the road or on the trail and if so how did the Jeep, and it's accupants, fare?

Quick Reply: Jeep is Gone!