Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Jeep Fire / Recall L -05

Old 06-26-2011, 06:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad everyone is OK. Scary stuff. I just bought an 08 Jk Unlimited with an auto tranny.... I've had it a month, now i'm all paranoid.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

What did your insurance say? If you have full coverage it is their problem to get dealer to settle.

Also dealers hate bad pr. Just dont disparage - state the facts and mention their name a lot. The dealer has no way to prove it was not their work so they should be liable and their insurance should pay. Of course they don't want the lose - they are are about taking money and not giving away so you should expect them to make it hard as hell to get any money, just like when you buy a car from them.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:16 AM
kb1
JK Newbie

Bump to keep this at the top. Possible sticky?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Freak

I agree this sucks, but you can't say Chrysler sucks so i'm selling my Jeep and getting a Toyota. ALL companies have problems! Remember the acceleration problem 2 years ago with toyota...If this happened a lot NHTSA WOULD get involved, bank it! Chrysler issued a recall, now it's up to the dealer to fix it correctly.

The point is to get in touch with the right person (this sounds like a dealer issue, not Chrysler Corp). I know an ass load of people who own jks and I've never seen or heard of one burning up on it's own. There is a reason and I'm betting the dealership did something wrong on the recall work.

Keep calling till you get someone who will listen and help. There are still people who care. Maybe you should try calling Fiat-America, the new owners of Chrysler/Jeep.

Personally I've owned 6 Jeeps and only had problems with 1 and they were all fixed. Dealers generally are the problem not the parent company.

If everyone who reads this says no more Jeeps...guess what? There will be no more Jeeps to buy...that is more tragic to me. If we're ever gonna get this country out of recession, we have to keep buying American!
Old 06-26-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jmat1980
This story scares the shit outta me. I had my cooler lines replaced about a year ago (I paid almost $300) I was notified of the recall a few weeks ago while I was in for the gas tank recall and was told that even though I had them replaced before, I should have it done again under the new recall. I was told the parts were on backorder and that when they were in I would be called. In the meantime I put in for reimbursement to DC and got a check for what I paid. Now that I see this video I will not due the recall...They are not leaking so there is no point anyways.

I would do all the facebook, twitter stuff as well as spend whatever free time you have showing the videos to incoming customers at the dealer...hell, post up on the street and try to show it to customers as they pull in to the dealer...just be safe and do everything legally. I feel for you...Glad your wife is ok
If your lines were leaking so you got em replaced, you should get reimbursed. And the dealer saying that you should still get them replaced is because Chrysler will pay the dealer for doing the work. So they want the money.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goeagles88
If everyone who reads this says no more Jeeps...guess what? There will be no more Jeeps to buy...that is more tragic to me. If we're ever gonna get this country out of recession, we have to keep buying American!

Is Jeep an American owned car company? I thought Fiat was a majority share holder
Old 06-26-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After reading this thread.... I was at the dealership yesterday to get an oil change and tire rotation..... Here in Ontario Canada. I asked if there is a recall on the tranny cooler lines..., they looked it up and said NO RECALL but they did extend the warranty on them to cover 7 YEARS!!! Ok that to me is scary.,,, so they know something isn't quite right to extend it to 7 years???!? Gee has me wondering...
I'm glad to hear nobody was seriously hurt.... You could probably make a case for emotional damage. I'd be scared to get into another JK after that. It sucks... Somebody above wrote you can't blame Chrysler????? Huh sure you F'n can!!!! They make the product which burned to the ground and do NOTHING for you!!! They should be held totally accountable.... They should be presenting you with a brand new Jeep...... it's not right.... hope in the end justice is served.... Good luck.

Last edited by robsjeep9; 06-26-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Jedi

First, I'm glad you and your family are ok. Second, the legal "advice" some people have posted on this thread is flat wrong but I know people are just trying to help so I won't bust their chops.

Anyway, I am surprised you haven't been able to find a good attorney to take the case. Your wife did suffer damage, it's called emotional distress. Depending on how well your state regulates businesses that repair automobiles, there may also be violations of a variety of consumer protection statutes and possibly even the uniform commercial code. Consumer protection statutes often contain fee shifting provisions and sometimes even treble damage provisions. Regardless of whether there have been statutory violations, this is also a negligence case and in negligence cases there is an opportunity to seek punitive damages (unless the economic loss doctrine applies in Kansas in which case you may not be able to bring a negligence claim absent actual physical injury or damage to property besides the vehicle).

Do your homework and find a qualified and honest attorney. I promise you, they do exist.

Last edited by Sharkey; 06-26-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KillerJK
I'm off to work again, then shopping for a new ride. I'm thinking of walking into a Toyota dealership for the first time in my life. I'm a solid buy American guy, but the incident and the subsequent treatment from Chrysler & the dealer has shaken.
Always a hummer, if you want American? They still are aren't they?
I wish I had not found this thread, this makes me want to get rid of my jeep. The only thing that worries me is, if this happened to a chevy owner or ford or Toyota would those dealers been the same way? To me it seems most people are more worried about themselves and their dealership than the consumer.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:33 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Goeagles88
I know an ass load of people who own jks and I've never seen or heard of one burning up on it's own.
You obviously haven't been around long enough to know that there HAS been a number of them catching fire "on their own". The ATF gets overheated and it boils over onto the exhaust. That's why Chrysler did the recall for the computer flash. But instead of fixing the overheating problem, all they did was create an idiot light.

Quick Reply: Jeep Fire / Recall L -05