Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Jeep Fire / Recall L -05

Old 07-02-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkey

And they are more than likely correct. It's called superseding intervening causation. Regardless of whether the original line was weeping, it is not foreseeable that a dealer will do such a poor job of installing new lines that the new lines will leak and start a fire. If you had a brake rotor recall, took your Jeep to the dealer for new brake rotors, and the dealer screwed up on the install and you got in an accident on your way home from the dealer...you couldn't claim Chrysler was legally responsible because of the recall that led to the repair (well, you could but you wouldn't win.) Sorry man...just my .02.

Yes, everyone should be keeping the issues separate.
I agree, chrysler is not directly responsible but like someone earlier said, the dealer is the face of the company. Chrysler should still have pit pressure on the dealer for coverage. The shop is responsible for the faulty install but they are the portal Chrysler. It's just not acceptable how much they seem to try and sepereate themselves from the responsibility of the dealer.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:38 AM
JK Jedi

Yeah...its just plain bs what Jeep is doing. IMO, a dealership is like an employee of the major company. The work of the employee directly reflects upon the company. Lousy work = lousy company. Of course there are always going to be mistakes made. And when this happens, it's shouldn't be a big thing. All the company needs to do is step up to the plate and MAKE IT RIGHT. That is, "IF" they value the integrity of their company. As soon as Chrysler/Jeep heard about this, immediately they should have been on the phone to the dealership asking what they are going to do about it. Can't the major company take away the dealership if they don't adhere to policy? I sure as hell would think that fixing an employee screw-up that resulted in a fire would be "policy".

I mean come on...it's not as if Chrysler can't afford it. Wouldn't it be good business to immediately take care of this AND BE THE GOOD GUY, rather than blow this off and BE THE BAD...???

I just don't understand it.....
Old 07-02-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Jedi

I'm not saying Chrysler shouldn't put pressure on the dealer (assuming the dealer did do something wrong which, at least at this point, everyone has just assumed to be the case). I'm not saying it's good business to ignore the situation, I'm just saying that if this fire was caused by crappy dealership work, it's not Chrysler's fault (at least not legally).

I'm just getting a bit sick of the whole Chrysler witch hunt. Now we've got members posting pictures of CJ's and saying "another Wrangler catches on fire" and other members saying their going to post the flaming CJ up on Jeep's FB page (as if it had anything at all to do with JK's and as if they had any flipping clue why the CJ caught on fire). Extremism only makes people look foolish, regardless of the cause. Nobody on this Forum knows what truly happened with the OP's Jeep. I, for one, find some of the OP's posts related to this whole thing well...odd. Maybe it's a hazard of what I do for a living, but I will reserve my judgment for a time when I am comfortable that I have been provided sufficient facts to come to a reasoned conclusion as to causation.

Last edited by Sharkey; 07-02-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not saying Chrysler shouldn't put pressure on the dealer (assuming the dealer did do something wrong which, at least at this point, everyone has just assumed to be the case). I'm not saying it's good business to ignore the situation, I'm just saying that if this fire was caused by crappy dealership work, it's not Chrysler's fault (at least not legally).
Still, Chrysler should make some kind of effort. So far, they've done jack. Sure, a simple apology isn't going to cut it and technically the insurance company is going to be the one handling this case, but make an effort to stand by your product. If anything, Chrysler should be just as pissed off at the dealership as the owner is.

Someone nearly dies because of a product you made and you're just gonna sit there and say it's not your problem? Screw you, Chrysler. Just knowing you've got the guy's back would go a long way. You don't need to cut him a check or change your bottom line, but help the guy get into another Jeep or vehicle. Take a moment to express the pride you have in your product. Chrysler never does this.

Maybe someone needs to actually die in one of these JK fires for Chrysler to realize they need to stop treating their customers like garbage.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

I'm just getting a bit sick of the whole Chrysler witch hunt. Now we've got members posting pictures of CJ's and saying "another Wrangler catches on fire" and other members saying their going to post the flaming CJ up on Jeep's FB page (as if it had anything at all to do with JK's and as if they had any flipping clue why the CJ caught on fire). Extremism only makes people look foolish, regardless of the cause. Nobody on this Forum knows what truly happened with the OP's Jeep. I, for one, find some of the OP's posts related to this whole thing well...odd. Maybe it's a hazard of what I do for a living, but I will reserve my judgment for a time when I am comfortable that I have been provided sufficient facts to come to a reasoned conclusion as to causation.
Thats the thing, noone would know if the line (that was subject to recall in the first place) failed again, it could have been installed correctly and failed again you never know. Reguardless Jeep understands there is an issue with this specific line, hence the recall. If the dealership is found to have jacked it up then their at fault, if the line failed again there could be a 50/50 reguardless its not the end users fault and Chrysler should step up to the plate and cover this asshole dealership, hopefully close it. I sure as hell didnt contribute tax dollars to keeping this company afloat for it to act like this... since were the new nanny state i guess the only way to fix issues like this is to become a facebook mob? i mean comon...
Old 07-05-2011, 02:57 AM
JK Newbie

Another JK got fired up over the weekend here in South Africa

this time it was on the open highway in Johannesburg

JK owners over here are really getting worried...
Old 07-05-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by johandewaal
Another JK got fired up over the weekend here in South Africa

this time it was on the open highway in Johannesburg

JK owners over here are really getting worried...
Which year JK is this ?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mikey214
Which year JK is this ?
no idea. Guys just posted this on a local forum - someone took the pic on their mobile , passing by on the highway . Following the thread on the local forum so we might soon get more detail...
Old 07-05-2011, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

Not a big offroader. I go out occasionally so I never thought of having a fire extinguisher in my JK. That has changed.

Thanks for posting your stories and bumping this to the top so I could read this. Awareness helps everyone here.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm confused why the OP's insurance company didn't hand him the money for a new Jeep (or whatever vehicle he's going with) and then sue the dealer. That's what my insurance company would be doing... then when the dealer is getting certified letters from attorney's they suddenly become cooperative in my experience.

Something doesn't seem quite right with the story imo.

Quick Reply: Jeep Fire / Recall L -05