Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Jeep Fire / Recall L -05

Old 06-30-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I hope they straighten this up. The quality and service I have gotten from jeep is far from good. I don't think I could buy another one if it caught fire with one of my family driving it. Jeep should make this good.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
Yup. I know of that same "O" town dealership. (It would be a crazy coincidence if dealership name happened to be the town that is listed below my avatar to the left! ) That dealership SUUUUCKS. I have had nothing but bad experiences and rude, uncaring behavior from them. If I HAVE to go to a dealership, Overland Park Jeep is where I usually go.
I purchased my jeep from them, and what a nightmare it was. I will never go back to Faillathe for any purchase or service again!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

I'm still @ camp, trying to find signal when I can. Chrysler Legal told me in May that 'they are not involved, not a Chrysler issue. ' Will it be an issue when start losing customers? China stopped importing Wranglers due to transmission fires, are their lives worth than ours?
I'll be home tomorrow, but don't expect any news, my wife hasn't received any calls since I originally posted.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Should we be keeping the 2 fire issues separate?? One is a manufacturer defect, the other a crappy repair by a technician?? Kinda the same (tranny, tranny lines), but different. Seems like the dealership should be held responsible in this situation, like if the lot boy drove your car thru the dealership window, it wouldn't be Jeeps fault. I think the dealership should pay, and I guess Jeep should make sure they do...

Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow this makes me want to park my JKU outside from now on.. Losing the jeep is one thing but the house and family is not cool.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
That is the subject of the letter people are getting addressing the cooler lines "weeping".
I don't think that is the cause of any fires.
If the new lines are installed incorrectly, fluid could spray out of the quick connects, which could cause a fire.
Ron : you said

"That is the subject of the letter people are getting addressing the cooler lines "weeping".
I don't think that is the cause of any fires."

Thats wrong whether its weeping, seeping or leaking, when going down the road at 60 or 80 mph, the wind will blow ATF everywhere, soaking the undercarrage, from the exhaust to the rear bumper. And if you let a weep go long enough it will collect.

Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Forgive me if I missed it but how many miles were on your JK?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

short on time..... TAG
Old 07-01-2011, 02:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
Ron : you said

"That is the subject of the letter people are getting addressing the cooler lines "weeping".
I don't think that is the cause of any fires."

Thats wrong whether its weeping, seeping or leaking, when going down the road at 60 or 80 mph, the wind will blow ATF everywhere, soaking the undercarrage, from the exhaust to the rear bumper. And if you let a weep go long enough it will collect.

I've seen lines that were weeping. No fluid collecting anywhere but on the rubber and crimp. If fluid is getting on the undercarriage from the crimp, it's leaking.
A "weeping" line, in the subject area, won't cause a fire. If it progresses to a leak, then yes, it can cause a fire.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by KillerJK
I'm still @ camp, trying to find signal when I can. Chrysler Legal told me in May that 'they are not involved, not a Chrysler issue. '
And they are more than likely correct. It's called superseding intervening causation. Regardless of whether the original line was weeping, it is not foreseeable that a dealer will do such a poor job of installing new lines that the new lines will leak and start a fire. If you had a brake rotor recall, took your Jeep to the dealer for new brake rotors, and the dealer screwed up on the install and you got in an accident on your way home from the dealer...you couldn't claim Chrysler was legally responsible because of the recall that led to the repair (well, you could but you wouldn't win.) Sorry man...just my .02.

Originally Posted by chipmaker
Should we be keeping the 2 fire issues separate?? One is a manufacturer defect, the other a crappy repair by a technician??
Yes, everyone should be keeping the issues separate.

Last edited by Sharkey; 07-01-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Jeep Fire / Recall L -05