Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Jeep Fire / Recall L -05

Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DJSJK50
Is this where the problem is? Where the rubber meets the metal tubes?

Attachment 176519
That is the subject of the letter people are getting addressing the cooler lines "weeping".
I don't think that is the cause of any fires.
If the new lines are installed incorrectly, fluid could spray out of the quick connects, which could cause a fire.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin4979
Yup. I know of that same "O" town dealership. (It would be a crazy coincidence if dealership name happened to be the town that is listed below my avatar to the left! ) That dealership SUUUUCKS. I have had nothing but bad experiences and rude, uncaring behavior from them. If I HAVE to go to a dealership, Overland Park Jeep is where I usually go.
Yeah Merlin, they are dicks. I did a test drive there, started working with them on a trade...everything went south in a matter of fifteen minutes, I told them to pound sand and went over to OPK. I have not heard of any good experiences there.

Last edited by banx; 06-28-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-28-2011, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
They answer the phone VERY skeptical of who is on the other end of the phone. I think they know they're in the spotlight.....
They have a facebook page too you know...
Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, thanks.... I got the letter as well yesterday. This is the place one would cut to add the trans cooler from what I been reading. So, just adding the cooler would not have prevented the other person problem. I am wondering if I should have it checked/fix before I do my trans cooler. My warranty is up this month and I have been holding off on it.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn’t read the entire original thread, but I would think Insurance would replace his vehicle immediately. Did he not have proper insurance on it? Why is he fighting the dealer?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

I have an 08 and I know this a stupid questions. What are the signs that the transmission is overheating. I don't think I have a problem but I would like to not have one
Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speed2005
I didn’t read the entire original thread, but I would think Insurance would replace his vehicle immediately. Did he not have proper insurance on it? Why is he fighting the dealer?
Don't know that part. He is at a caping trip with his son and has not been able to answer questions. He just said he has been fighting this for a month and was not getting anywhere with the dealer or jeep.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:59 PM
JK Super Freak

I just got a letter from Chryler extending my warranty to 7 yrs ort 70,000 miles on the transmission cooler lines. It says some of the affected vehicle population could experience weeping fluid at the hose to tube crimp joint. It also comes with a reimbursement form if Ive already had the work done myself. interesting
Old 06-28-2011, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aajakt
I have an 08 and I know this a stupid questions. What are the signs that the transmission is overheating. I don't think I have a problem but I would like to not have one
Well, there was a recall a little while back that would have flashed your computer so that it would say "hot oil" (or something like that) and ding more often. Depending on when it was built in 08, you might even get an idiot light, the 07 got one as well. But your 08 might have that, depends on build date. I don't remember what is was, you can search if you want the details, it was talked about a lot here.

If you did not get that flash (you should), then as is, your 08 will make a ding, but no notifications of what the ding might be.

Also, if you did not get the flash, and your not sure if you did over heat at one point, You can go to a trans shop and have them take a look. You can check as well, by smelling the trans fluid on the dip stick. Should not smell like anything near burnt and should be a nice cherry red, somewhat clear.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dropped mine off today at my local dealer. I will get it back tomorrow. I trust my 2 local dealers. I have had nothing but good things to say about them. But I still worry about that damn auto trans. Im thinking of trading my 08 in for a new 2012 and you can be sure that if they use the same auto trans or one that is as crappy my new one will be a manual.

To the OP thank god your family is ok. I hope that this gets sorted out for you and Chrysler does the right thing. I would say don't turn away from Jeep but I must admit that I would also turn away. I have had 2 Toyota trucks and they were great not 1 problem ever.

P.S. I have also posted the FB link.

Quick Reply: Jeep Fire / Recall L -05