Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Jeep Fire / Recall L -05

Old 06-26-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wgrin
I know for the most part customer service is a thing of the past.
That's why so many companies require 2-3 year contracts, because in the past if bad customer service or better price was offered than people would leave that company for the other.
So with contracts customer service isn't ad important because you can't go anywhere.
Just crap. The dealership should do whatever they needed to do to replace his ride. Step up, yes it'll cost you money but it's just the right thing to do.
Exactly!!!
Replace the Jeep and lose a few thousand (dealership buying price at wholesale) for a mistake that the mechanic made.

or

Lose an entire group of Jeep fans, reputation, and business in general.

Customer Service means a lot to me.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by moalder
So assuming that voiding a warranty isn't an issue since I bought my 08 used so it doesn't have one, would an aux tranny cooler resolve this potential hazard…
No, not in this particular case. If you read what happened, the Jeep was fine, then the Dealer replaced the transmission cooling lines (because of the L-05 Recall), and when driving home with the new lines it caught on fire. It looks like the new lines leaked on to the engine and caused the fire. The lines run on the driver’s side of the engine - right where the fire was located.

I suppose if you install an additional transmission cooler improperly and you also get a leak then you can get the same results.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry for your troubles and glad the wife is ok. I teared up watching the jeep burn. Put together a video and I will post to my Facebook, I have alot of jeep friends and they have friends and so on. Eventually, this will work out.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:33 PM
JK Freak

Glad the wife is ok !
Give us the dealer information we will all call !
Try taking the video and your story to a big news company like ABC 7
Keep us posted !
Old 06-26-2011, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scary stuff and I'm glad your wife is ok.

11 pages and I don't see anywhere stating that the cause of the fire was determined (did I miss it?). Common sense says it would be related to the work that was just performed, but is there a way to confirm? I know that might be difficult to determine after such a big bonfire. Maybe Chrysler is turning their back because they know you can't prove it?

Hard to believe they wouldn't do SOMETHING for you. We'll, maybe not so hard to believe after all the horror stories we're hearing about their customer service, or lack thereof.

If you setup a Paypal account, I'll throw a few bones your way to help with the down payment of a non-Chrysler vehicle. Maybe if a few of us chip in it'll ease your pain.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Definitely keep us posted. I'm disgusted by the lack of service for many companies today. Do they not realize how good service causes a good buzz and when there's a good buzz they could be making bank. Instead they all operate as low cost as possible and cut their losses to maintain low cost. Garbage.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:23 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deathwagon
Scary stuff and I'm glad your wife is ok.

11 pages and I don't see anywhere stating that the cause of the fire was determined (did I miss it?). Common sense says it would be related to the work that was just performed, but is there a way to confirm? I know that might be difficult to determine after such a big bonfire. Maybe Chrysler is turning their back because they know you can't prove it?

Hard to believe they wouldn't do SOMETHING for you. We'll, maybe not so hard to believe after all the horror stories we're hearing about their customer service, or lack thereof.

If you setup a Paypal account, I'll throw a few bones your way to help with the down payment of a non-Chrysler vehicle. Maybe if a few of us chip in it'll ease your pain.
Paypal account? I do believe that would be what he has insurance for. Although if your so inclined to send money out, I'll set one up and you can send it to the help prevent mkjeep's tranny fire and do more mods fund.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Paypal account? I do believe that would be what he has insurance for. Although if your so inclined to send money out, I'll set one up and you can send it to the help prevent mkjeep's tranny fire and do more mods fund.
Very classy.

*Edit- I'm guessing that with whatever insurance payout is received, the OP may lose money on the deal. My offer still stands and I'm sure there are a few members who would be willing to contribute a few bucks.

Last edited by deathwagon; 06-26-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

REALLY glad that your Wife is OK ... i would be heart broken to watch my jeep go up in flames !!! i know that my wife would panic in that situation... i told her about this tonight and she know now that if anything seems funny or you see smoke Get the F out !!

I would go to the news stations and papers and anything you can ! GET as much press as you can !!!!!!!!!

i hope that everything works out for you .
Old 06-26-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joe002

No, not in this particular case. If you read what happened, the Jeep was fine, then the Dealer replaced the transmission cooling lines (because of the L-05 Recall), and when driving home with the new lines it caught on fire. It looks like the new lines leaked on to the engine and caused the fire. The lines run on the driver’s side of the engine - right where the fire was located.

I suppose if you install an additional transmission cooler improperly and you also get a leak then you can get the same results.
You hit the nail on the head there. That is exactly what is happening. This is some serious shit guys. They just replace the trans cooler lines with the same shitty lines that start to leak again. Save yourself the time,stress,and possibly your life and look at other alternatives. Theres a few write-ups on here.

Quick Reply: Jeep Fire / Recall L -05