Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Jeep Fire / Recall L -05

Old 06-26-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So assuming that voiding a warranty isn't an issue since I bought my 08 used so it doesn't have one, would an aux tranny cooler resolve this potential hazard? If so, what does something like that cost to have installed?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeffncs
I have visualized their extraction using a Spyderco knife stowed above my left shoulder on the rollbar. I'll go down with the Jeep fighting for both of these little guys....
sounds like a strategic military exercise
Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Junkie

Man that is crazy! Good thing your wife is okay, I hope you find a good attorney.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KillerJK
I've already been interviewed by a local news team. The dealer got word of it and stopped the broadcast.
I've been at this for a month - somebody give me something I haven't tried.
Do what Eddie Campos did in the 70's... trailer it around with a lemon tree sticking out of the middle and park it in front of the dealer. They can't make you move it and anyone can report the news. It's a free country...

Eddie Campos was the guy in Los Angeles who made national news.. he parked his new Lincoln Continental in front of a dealer and burned it to the ground and then trailered it around town with a lemon tree sticking out of the top - he cut a big hole in the roof. He parked it on the Ford Motor company's lawn one day... when hey had a site in Pico Rivera.

When I was a kid we'd drive by his house on the way to church and that Lincoln was in his front yard.. lemon tree and all.

I believe Ford finally caved.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:08 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by moalder
So assuming that voiding a warranty isn't an issue since I bought my 08 used so it doesn't have one, would an aux tranny cooler resolve this potential hazard? If so, what does something like that cost to have installed?
Yes, from what I've read, it supposedly it fixes the problem. I guess they're not that spendy and is an easy install to do yourself. Plenty of guys on here have done it. Do a search.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Wgrin
Always a hummer, if you want American? They still are aren't they?
I wish I had not found this thread, this makes me want to get rid of my jeep. The only thing that worries me is, if this happened to a chevy owner or ford or Toyota would those dealers been the same way? To me it seems most people are more worried about themselves and their dealership than the consumer.
This is problem I see. Not so much the jeeps ability to leak fluid and catch fire, but the issue of a safety letter to cover the company and its affiliates liability.

Pretty much sounds like they knew there was a problem, sent a letter, and dusted their hands like saying, "oh well, problem solved"

Had the company, dealership, or manufacturer stood up and accepted the problem as a defect, and really cared about the consumer, this would not be an issue to me. I mean, thats what customer service is about, right?

I sent back a $90 fishing rod back 3 times to Bass Pro Shops because of a small defect. Im not going to spend $35,000 and put my families life in danger and get shitty customer service.

And being a chevy guy all my life, the dealerships in San Diego would have handled it differently. My wife drives a Toyota, and the service there is awesome. Don't know too much about Fords tho.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BONZAI
[SIZE="3"][COLOR="red"]
My question(s) is to anyone who reads this, not so much to the OP...Is this a common problem with the JKU?

If it is, is it because of an upgraded aftermarket part?

Is this problem only found in a certain year, or only with auto trans?

I'm still in-love with the JKU, but safety needs to be #1 with my family. Someone please advise...
a XJ Jeep Cherokee will burn to the ground due to pin holes in the high pressure fuel line spraying gas on the intake manifold... fires are not new to a Jeep.

People still buy and drive them.

Originally Posted by jjntj2003
Get you 100" screen play that video and put that burnt bitch in front of dealership with that video playing. It will get attention!
Originally Posted by jeffncs
Do you still have the Jeep in your possession?

Park it - legally - outside the dealership with a big sign on it with the dealership performed the service. Watch the dealership owner, manager and everyone working there scrambling to get it removed. This is where the park it legally comes into play...

Good luck.
Originally Posted by dfwislander
How can the dealer "stop the broadcast"?? That's really your ticket frankly. Find a good on air investigative reporter willing to air your story. Lawyers will just take a lot of time and money.
Well, if you read the Eddie Campos playbook, it will take time to get the attention of Chrysler. The dealer won't admit fault .. my guess they are an advertiser on the same station and pulled some strings... or possibly got their lawyer involved and used defamation and libel laws to protect the dealer name and business.

This could get nasty and the news station doesn't need a fight....

The best thing the OP can do is use his insurance to file the claim, buy the car back on the cheap and use it as evidence for litigation against Chrysler, the dealer, or both.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Wgrin
Always a hummer, if you want American? They still are aren't they?
I wish I had not found this thread, this makes me want to get rid of my jeep. The only thing that worries me is, if this happened to a chevy owner or ford or Toyota would those dealers been the same way? To me it seems most people are more worried about themselves and their dealership than the consumer.
I'm going to tell you that dealers are in cahoots with the manufacturers... I went toe-to-toe with Toyota regarding my new 2005 Land Cruiser. Toyota will never admit fault for anything related to poor workmaship or safety issues... I'll never buy another Toyota ever again - period.

A $65K new vehicle and they wanted to replace the entire frame at a dealer...

Yea right... think about that for a moment.

Toyota finally bought it back from me after a few threats to take it to ABC 7 on your side.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Im glad your wife is OK
If there is anything we can do just let us know.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BONZAI

This is problem I see. Not so much the jeeps ability to leak fluid and catch fire, but the issue of a safety letter to cover the company and its affiliates liability.

Pretty much sounds like they knew there was a problem, sent a letter, and dusted their hands like saying, "oh well, problem solved"

Had the company, dealership, or manufacturer stood up and accepted the problem as a defect, and really cared about the consumer, this would not be an issue to me. I mean, thats what customer service is about, right?

I sent back a $90 fishing rod back 3 times to Bass Pro Shops because of a small defect. Im not going to spend $35,000 and put my families life in danger and get shitty customer service.

And being a chevy guy all my life, the dealerships in San Diego would have handled it differently. My wife drives a Toyota, and the service there is awesome. Don't know too much about Fords tho.
I know for the most part customer service is a thing of the past.
That's why so many companies require 2-3 year contracts, because in the past if bad customer service or better price was offered than people would leave that company for the other.
So with contracts customer service isn't ad important because you can't go anywhere.
Just crap. The dealership should do whatever they needed to do to replace his ride. Step up, yes it'll cost you money but it's just the right thing to do.

Quick Reply: Jeep Fire / Recall L -05