Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Jeep on fire

Old 12-16-2010, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here - 2 boys in car seats.

I keep a knife handy on my roll cage to cut them out of their car seats - "F" unbuckling them. Those harnesses will be gone in seconds and 2 boys will be moved far away from the situation.

State Farm, Chrysler and the attorneys can figure out the details.

With all of that being said, I think it's a looong shot to have a fire. Seems pretty unlikely occurrence with the number of wranglers out there on the road.

Jeff

Originally Posted by DJR
I have my kids in my Jeep all the time - scares the crap out of me. How fast can I get them unbuckled and out?

Getting an extinguisher as well.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mspennyrae
Hi peoples...sorry for the late reply but I've been waiting for my account to get approved.

Yeah, my husband stopped on his way home from work at a gas station to grab a pack of smokes. Not 75 feet out of the gas station he smelled smoke, and not 10 seconds after that he saw flames shooting out of the hood.

LUCKILY, that parking lot he was able to get into before it died is a vacant, foreclosed building. He pulled out the fire extinguisher thinking(initially) maybe it was a small electrical fire and he could easily put it out. Once he realized it wasn't going to happen, he ran like hell. I was not with him and at no time did he put himself in danger (mainly because he knows I'd kill him if the did that.)

I arrived a few minutes later and the firetrucks were just behind me. When the magnesium and water mixed, man it was spectactular. (BOOM!) It burned for an hour and a half and was also full of gas.

The jeep was bought in June and only had 3200 miles on it. We were just about to get the oil changed on it. (It wasn't driven much...it was our weekend car.) Luckily he hadn't accessorized it too much as it was so new.

Insurance is treating us OK and we've also contacted Chrysler, and they are sending someone to look at it. Our insurance company also hired a 3rd party investigator to investigate the cause and he confirmed we didn't do it on purpose. (DURRR). We're going back after Chrysler for our deductible etc..

Now the question is, do we take the chance with another Wrangler? We really, really liked that Jeep. What's concerning us is that this happened literally 3 minutes from our house. If it had happened as he had pulled in the garage, the house would have gone up with it. Then again, the chances of this happening twice to the same owner are probably pretty remote...

Jeep Wrangler Roasting on an Open Fire...
Transmission fluid dripping from its hose…
Yuletide blazes…with explosions all aglow…
And firemen, dressed up in their flame retardant clothes…
Everybody knows…a cooked Jeep and some water thrown…on magnesium makes the season bright…
Insurance Adjuster…with his eyes all aglow…will find it hard to write a check tonight….
You have one hell of a good sense of humor! Love the Christmas poem. I too would for sure go after Chrysler for a full replacement. They need to cover every penny it cost you. Like the minimal upgrades and probably the fire department charges too. And don't forget to get a full tank of gas when you pickup up your replacement. I keep one of your local new reporters name handy too. That may make them understand a little quicker. Best of luck.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by AK4Dave
Didn't you get a recall notice?
No point anymore. I go into the Jeep dealer and they say "Oh no we can't do that." ???? I dont get it. F**k the dealer man Im ok. Id rather save the headache than work with idiots
Old 12-16-2010, 08:39 PM
JK Freak

Hi peoples...sorry for the late reply but I've been waiting for my account to get approved.

Yeah, my husband stopped on his way home from work at a gas station to grab a pack of smokes. Not 75 feet out of the gas station he smelled smoke, and not 10 seconds after that he saw flames shooting out of the hood.

LUCKILY, that parking lot he was able to get into before it died is a vacant, foreclosed building. He pulled out the fire extinguisher thinking(initially) maybe it was a small electrical fire and he could easily put it out. Once he realized it wasn't going to happen, he ran like hell. I was not with him and at no time did he put himself in danger (mainly because he knows I'd kill him if the did that.)

I arrived a few minutes later and the firetrucks were just behind me. When the magnesium and water mixed, man it was spectactular. (BOOM!) It burned for an hour and a half and was also full of gas.

The jeep was bought in June and only had 3200 miles on it. We were just about to get the oil changed on it. (It wasn't driven much...it was our weekend car.) Luckily he hadn't accessorized it too much as it was so new.

Insurance is treating us OK and we've also contacted Chrysler, and they are sending someone to look at it. Our insurance company also hired a 3rd party investigator to investigate the cause and he confirmed we didn't do it on purpose. (DURRR). We're going back after Chrysler for our deductible etc..

Now the question is, do we take the chance with another Wrangler? We really, really liked that Jeep. What's concerning us is that this happened literally 3 minutes from our house. If it had happened as he had pulled in the garage, the house would have gone up with it. Then again, the chances of this happening twice to the same owner are probably pretty remote...

Jeep Wrangler Roasting on an Open Fire...
Transmission fluid dripping from its hose…
Yuletide blazes…with explosions all aglow…
And firemen, dressed up in their flame retardant clothes…
Everybody knows…a cooked Jeep and some water thrown…on magnesium makes the season bright…
Insurance Adjuster…with his eyes all aglow…will find it hard to write a check tonight….
what does magnesium have to do with the Jeep?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some vehicles have magnesium components and don't mix well with fire and water. I didn't know the Jk did though.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Too late. Plus, the insurance gave us more than we actually paid for it. (I get a Chrysler employee discount - no I don't work for Chrysler.) Ins company is fighting to get their money back thru Chrysler and our deductible. It's a done deal - plus, to be honest, with a baby on the way, we're not going to wait for a settlement from Chrysler.

What year Silverado?? I have a brand new 2010...please tell me this isn't going to happen a second time. (I love my truck).
dont worry it was a 2000 silverado.. .. and it was a little but of a known issue at the time on the 6.0 Litre engines.. supposedly there were changes to the EFI manifold after that... ive known of lots of silverados and mine is the only one ive ever known to burn... you guys should be good... I probably have a higher percentage of issues with my vehicles than the average person because I typically get a new vehicle every year.... sometimes more than one...

im glad your ins co took care of you and good luck with chrysler.. you are right with a kid on the way you dont need the months and months of messing around with them...

one thing to consider is carrying a seat belt cutter in your vehicle.. I carry a device that can easily break a glass window, as well as quickly cut a seatbelt... if you have to get people out quick and they are either kids or unconcious it is sometimes quicker to just cut the belt rather than try and unlatch it...

-Christopher
Old 12-17-2010, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm glad you're okay too. I hope you told them you had just gone to best buy and had a 60 inch tv in the back. Haha. But on a serious note, what kind and how big of a fire extinguisher did you have in there?
Old 12-17-2010, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by shockwaveaz
Some vehicles have magnesium components and don't mix well with fire and water. I didn't know the Jk did though.
Right - that's my point. I didn't think that there was anything magnesium on these vehicles. I know about the magnesium and titanium type metals causing fires and explosions especially in powder form in confined spaces with an ignition source.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Jeep on fire

Originally Posted by jeffncs
Same here - 2 boys in car seats.

I keep a knife handy on my roll cage to cut them out of their car seats - "F" unbuckling them. Those harnesses will be gone in seconds and 2 boys will be moved far away from the situation.
If that's a standard knife or even an exceptionally sharp knife, I seriously doubt it will cut that seat belt that easily!

Your better bet is to get a seat belt cutter.
They are specifically designed to be easy to use and will cut that belt like a knife in butter.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

mine did this yesterday...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...in-parking-lot

Quick Reply: Jeep on fire