Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Jeep on fire

Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I will be investing in something like this...
Old 12-13-2010, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the problem...

High pressure electric fuel pump, broken or cut fuel line. Doesn't take long to really get a serious fire going.

My brother is a Deputy, working the Long Island Expressway (Interstate 495) on Saturdays. A Ford van catches fire, eventually burns to a cinder. The driver abandons the van, but leaves the engine running. Fire investigators believe fire was the result of a split fuel line. If the driver had simply turned off the power via the ignition key, the fire would not have become as serious as quickly.

A 10 lb fire bottle is often ineffective on a serious, fuel fed engine bay fire.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

If this happens to me I'll get a Mango Tango instead.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Holy Shit! Man that sucks! Hopefully he gets another jk soon!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seeing that there has been more than a few bad tipm out there... as well as my 2008 which routinely shorted out something electrical and filled the jeep with smoke on more than one occasion... along with watching vids and reading threads id say some of these fires are related to the faulty tipm units...

And like other posts it will be worse if the jeep is left running... however if all the people are out and its new like that..not worth risking your life trying to save it with a small bottle...

Take pics and open a claim with chrysler...
Christopher

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2010, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Widewing
A 10 lb fire bottle is often ineffective on a serious, fuel fed engine bay fire.
Yup, cant put out a fire if the fuel is still getting pumped onto it. But the AFFF that is in these bottles is the same stuff used to put out jet fires. Amazing stuff.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:00 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DJR
I have my kids in my Jeep all the time - scares the crap out of me. How fast can I get them unbuckled and out?

Getting an extinguisher as well.
Worry about you and the kids only. Not the Jeep. Let it burn and get the kids to safety.

I've been in a car fire before and actually saved it with an extinguisher but risked my life doing so (stupid move). Twenty years later, in retrospect, I realize that I should have let it burn to the ground. Could have gotten hurt bad (gas fire) and ended up getting screwed by the insurance company because it wasn't totaled.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NVRDUN
So what causes this? Just yeterday I had the "hotoil" light come on. I have a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 12k miles.
Be glad u have a "hotoil" light... 2007s like mine dont have those.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Millerman999
Be glad u have a "hotoil" light... 2007s like mine dont have those.
Didn't you get a recall notice?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow that's terrible... I hope it's covered and he didn't have a ton of extras...

Quick Reply: Jeep on fire