Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Jeep on fire

Old 12-13-2010, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the insurance biz and have seen more than one total burn.

Not good. As long as you can get out quickly (reason to ride doorless) and have gap coverage...
Old 12-13-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by finnd1
My JK did not catch on fire today. Although, the day is still young. Perhaps we need a poll.
A fire poll??

Old 12-13-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Super Freak

That is pretty shitty! This is something I am hoping the factory is looking into. Remeber the Fords that had that problem for so long, ended up being troubles with the ignition switches.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cppower
The 'Hot Oil' light comes on as a warning before your Transmission is actually overheated. Costs about $60 and an hour of your time installing an aux transmission cooler to keep it from happening again.

There really have not been that many JKs that have caught fire. They just get a lot of attention when they do. You don't see posts that say, 'Another JK did not catch on fire today!'.

There is a lot of speculation that it is transmission, oil lines and Fuel overflow, but nothing has been reported that actually ties them together.
Is the trans heat issue really common? What conditions causing it? Would you recommend installing the aux cooler to everyone purchasing a JK or are there certain types that need to worry?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Jeep is HOT.

I would guess that this Jeep did not burn up from a transmission overheating since it would have had plenty of time to cool off while at the gas station.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DJR
I have my kids in my Jeep all the time - scares the crap out of me. How fast can I get them unbuckled and out?
that is something you need to practice. Also do it with your eyes closed. Then practice with only one hand. Then the other.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:04 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dfwislander
Is the trans heat issue really common? What conditions causing it? Would you recommend installing the aux cooler to everyone purchasing a JK or are there certain types that need to worry?

The problem is with Automatics only.
It has a factory cooler, but it is in a bad location and way to small.
The easist way to have the problem show up is to go tow something for a distance or run in 4hi at speeds that you should be in 4lo for about 20 mins.

All JK auto's should add an Aux Transmission cooler.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Default Sad news

Thats terrible, thankfully no one was hurt or worse.

I definitely need to look into a tranny cooler for my auto..
Old 12-13-2010, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

My auto tranny has NEVER overheated. Almost all auto trannys NEVER overheat. That's not to say adding a cooler isn't a good idea.

JK's are no more prone to burning up than any other car.

The chicken littles need to simmer down.

Last edited by IrvineJK; 12-13-2010 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:17 AM
JK Freak

remember that my previous jeep "o7 unlimited" had a recall about the trans oil leaking and causing fire.

now i have an 2011 , automatic also ,should i install the aux cooler or change the one its there?

Quick Reply: Jeep on fire