Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Its finally time to show it off :)

Old 06-22-2007, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow 30 bucks! for the whole setup?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onsafari
....after looking at the rear suspension I am thinking your rear shocks do not have enough down travel. They are going to limit your travel and possibly tear off your upper bar pin shock mounts.
Why would they rip the bar pins off??? Shocks are the limiting factor on all JKs and TJs. Hopefully they slow the suspension droop enough that it doesn't happen.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:33 AM
JK Newbie

Any issues mounting the spare with the Mopar off-road rear? That's probably what I'll go to when I replace the stocks.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Renegade
Why would they rip the bar pins off??? Shocks are the limiting factor on all JKs and TJs. Hopefully they slow the suspension droop enough that it doesn't happen.
I had to put limiting straps on the rear of my TJ cuz I didn't want a $160 Bilstien shock ripping out at full flex. That's the main reason the pins do break. The shock should not be the limiting factor of a suspension. Either the suspension itself or limiting straps should stop it before the shock pulls out all the way. I would say that 4" of uptravel would be good for a JK and that's what mine is sitting at.

The shock does slow the supension down but when your offroad and twisting the supsension back and forth the force put on the shocks and those pins in quite a bit and something will give. Usually it's the pin and not the shock.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Nice job. My only suggestion it that you send the truck to me so that it can live a fulfilling life in Colorado...
Old 06-22-2007, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Renegade

This just isn't true at all, shocks should never be what limits your flex. You should have 3-5" of up travel (correct bumpstop) and the rest down travel, if you flex that much (down travel) add limiting straps as your shock will break (aka leak) and wear out quick.

Honestly ru nit as-is and see if the lift settles some, but one real way to fix this cheap and to kill two birds with one stone is to cut your shock mounts off and move them up to the tubes. Gain lots of clearance and those shocks won't be too short.

Last edited by ZachMan; 06-22-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eracer76

Im not sure how much just the lift provided because I put on the tires at the same time, but I think its every bit of 4.5 to 5" total gained.
That wouldn't matter, the way you measure is from center of the hub to the bottom of the fender. Any stocker could do the same on here to compare.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
wow 30 bucks! for the whole setup?
No....it was $30 for just the camera that I added onto my Pioneer system which has an extra input for the back up camera. When I put the Jeep in reverse, it automatically switches the screen....or I can manually switch it and watch out the rear while driving down the road

Originally Posted by oskee6
Any issues mounting the spare with the Mopar off-road rear? That's probably what I'll go to when I replace the stocks.

Thanks!
No problems with mounting my 35 on there with 4.5" back spacing on the wheels...stock wheels worked fine too.
I have the Mopar tire carrier, but I took it off to modify it some...it kept popping open on me when I hit big bumps
Old 06-22-2007, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZachMan
This just isn't true at all, shocks should never be what limits your flex. You should have 3-5" of up travel (correct bumpstop) and the rest down travel, if you flex that much (down travel) add limiting straps as your shock will break (aka leak) and wear out quick.

Honestly ru nit as-is and see if the lift settles some, but one real way to fix this cheap and to kill two birds with one stone is to cut your shock mounts off and move them up to the tubes. Gain lots of clearance and those shocks won't be too short.
But all Jeeps from the factory have the down travel limited by the shocks, and almost every Jeep here on the forum is too, unless someone added straps.

I like the idea of moving the shock mounts up on the axle tube though....

Im going to an off road park Sunday and they have an RTI ramp in the parking lot.
I'll try it out on that and check everything for its limits before heading out into the woods
Old 06-22-2007, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you know how much lift you actually gained? RE usually runs big, you'll love the kit RE is top notch.
That wouldn't matter, the way you measure is from center of the hub to the bottom of the fender. Any stocker could do the same on here to compare.
That first time you asked, I thought you meant total lift gained.....
Anyway, I just went and measured from the center of the hub to the very bottom edge of the fender (not the rolled part) and I got 24" front and back
But unless your comparing the same Jeeps, it wont do much good being I have heavy Mopar bumpers and a winch.....
Besides, when I use the hoist to pull the hard top off, I can see the back of the Jeep lift at least a 1/4"
I guess I should have measured before and after the install, but I was excited to get it on!

Quick Reply: Its finally time to show it off :)