Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

insurance and engine swap

Old 01-08-2010, 10:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default insurance and engine swap

im curious, lets say i go offroad and hydro the stock engine. since many insurance providers will take care of it, would it be possible to upgrade to a hemi and then i just pay the difference of the stock engine and labor and hemi and labor? seems like could save a butt load of $$$

lets say stock engine and labor from dealer is $10,000 ( i honestly have no clue how much it costs) and hemi and labor through my guy is $18,000, then essentially i just got a hemi swap for $8,000

why i ask, my insurance was covering some smaller parts and they allow me to use whatever mechanic i choose and i wanted to upgrade the parts and they went for it. now they prefer u to use a certified mechanic from their list but wont deny u of the choice.

just hypothetical
Old 01-10-2010, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn good question. If it works, that would be awesome!!!!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by captjay
im curious, lets say i go offroad and hydro the stock engine. since many insurance providers will take care of it, would it be possible to upgrade to a hemi and then i just pay the difference of the stock engine and labor and hemi and labor? seems like could save a butt load of $$$

lets say stock engine and labor from dealer is $10,000 ( i honestly have no clue how much it costs) and hemi and labor through my guy is $18,000, then essentially i just got a hemi swap for $8,000

why i ask, my insurance was covering some smaller parts and they allow me to use whatever mechanic i choose and i wanted to upgrade the parts and they went for it. now they prefer u to use a certified mechanic from their list but wont deny u of the choice.

just hypothetical
when my first JK was wrecked, the first time around. I payed the difference for the bent from Dana 30 and upgraded to a D44.

Of course it was totalled a couple months later

depends on what your insurance allows
Old 01-10-2010, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My insurance paid an independent shop approx. $8,000 for a new engine build after hydrolocking. If I had any money at the time, I would have split the cost towards a hemi. What I really should have done was gotten a $1,500 3.8 from AEV or ORE and put the rest towards a SC. But I didn't really think of that at the time, and just needed my dd back.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by captjay

just hypothetical
call Jeff St. Clair at Coverage for your Toys he is a sponsor on this site and a knows all about this.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Junkie

you can use the $ towards whatever you want... heck you dont even need to put it into the JK. but they wont pay for the same thing twice. (In other words, if you cannot supply a receipt saying it was fixed.. then total your JK a month later, they will deduct the $ they paid earlier from what they will pay you for the vehicle.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:51 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I'd think it's all up to your insurance agent. I had an accident which smashed the factory side step on the drivers side. I asked if I can buy an aftermarket step and they gave me the OK. Factory replacements were valued at ~$700 and I got the LoD rails instead. With exchange and duties the total was ~$825 for the loD's. The insurance covered the entire difference seeing as how they didn't have to pay the dealer for labor on the install.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM
JK Freak

well thanks for all the replies. my insusrance knows that im lifted. they said as long as everything is legal then they will cover any of it. i had just many posts recently on people hydroing the JK so was just curous about his since they have covered smaller upgrades in the past. but im seriously looking into cheking out that toy insurance stuff. with insurance getting very strict here in fl, it might ne time to swith. i dont know, just curiousity was getting to me
Old 01-13-2010, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Sure you could, There is no insurance co that can make you do the repairs. The only problem somes in for instance if you want to cash settle from insurance and put that money towards a hemi swap, with State Farm, who I work for, if the amount of payment is over $2500 and there is a leinholder on the vehicle we have to copay the draft to either the lein holder or a shop. But you do not have to replace with what they write that is just what they owe you
Old 01-15-2010, 03:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeff the Insurance Guy
Thanks George,
You do have a choice on where and what repairs are done as Jpaye said over a certain amount and a lender is involved a joint check will be issued. Everyone look into what your j/k is worth versus insured for, currently I can only increase up to $10k in upgrades (I know not enough for most of us) but better than stock value.
Thanks, Jeff
well, jeff once i get back on my feet again, job wise, i will get intouch .. i was just curious about the question i asked, it has not happened. but i have way over $10,000 invested. now my insurance says im good to go as long as the parts are attached to the jeep, but u will be hearing from me soon.

Quick Reply: insurance and engine swap