Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Installed new muffler bearings!

Old 05-09-2012, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed new muffler bearings!

Okay, maybe they're bushings, not bearings, but my Jeep has 'em! I had a Dynomax Ultra-Flo, but it was a bit too loud for my taste, so I had been thinking about replacing it. I never really wanted to mod the exhaust, but I had to due to enlargening the storage tub. I also had no plans to relocate the evap canister, but I had to due to installing AEV's rear diff slider. So...since I relocated the evap, I decided to go with Dynomax's newer stainless VT muffler. I'm sure a few of you have already seen them, but they incorporate a valve that forces the exhaust gas through extra baffling under light throttle, and the valve opens under heavy throttle, making it a straight-through design. I really like it, with one exception, it sounds like I have a miss under light-moderate throttle, which can be corrected with more or less pedal pressure, but it does occur. I did get the one for 4.0 and bigger engines, and I did get the offset/offset, for more "muffling". Perhaps this will be less noticeable when I get the tailpipe bent up. It sounds a bit louder than stock, and doesn't get very loud under heavy throttle. There is absolutely no drone, even with it shooting at the rear axle. I will post more pics when I get the tailpipe bent up and installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	314858Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	314859Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	314860Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	314861Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	314862
Old 05-10-2012, 01:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bimmer335
remove valve and call it a day!!
Then it wouldn't be quiet and how could I brag about having muffler bushings. I'll see what the additional back pressure does once I get the rest of the exhaust installed, before I try the 4.0 and smaller version. Right now, as it's ran, the spring needs to be stiffer or weaker.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Exhaust finished! I used a small glass pack muffler, that I bought through Summit Racing, in order to quiet it down some more. It is as quiet as a stock exhaust, and the noise from the valve opening/closing is gone. It does have a nice growl when you get on it, but it's no louder than what a stock exhaust with some miles on it would be. I am very happy with it and I can tell no difference in power, not that I could tell any when I first modified the exhaust with a straight through design muffler. I'll leave it alone for now, until I do the Hemi swap, or crush something while wheeling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	316957Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	316958Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	316959

Quick Reply: Installed new muffler bearings!