Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Installed Expedition One DX!

Old 09-21-2007, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xravn

and slick i like your jeep man, very nice you've done good work to it IMO but not ready to bow down to you yet lol i'd love to see them side by side on the trail one day let me know if ya ever head down to florida, i'll show you some sweet Everglades trails that will make those boggers really work :P
I MIGHT TAKE YOU UP ON THAT

always wanted to wheel in flordia

edit:
your in miami.... want to go down there for a week soon be and some buds
Old 09-21-2007, 10:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...i love my Thornbirds and they have worked out great for me thus far... but i always considered them an aggresive A/T tire as it was intended. so thus i expect boggers pitbulls and other such extreme M/T tires to out perform mine. but i'm happy with what i got thank you and yes they do look awesome much better IMO then a standard B/F mt...
I wasn't going to take away from your picture thread by posting my opinion of the tires, but since you opened it up...
First I want to say that the Jeep looks good. You are right about the tires looking much better than a standard BFG M/T. I once bought a set of Thornbirds for that very reason. I figured that they would also be pretty decent on the road and good in mud as well. It was my experience with these tires that they were absolutely horrible on road and only marginal off road. The bias ply construction makes them very heavy and loud, and ride very rough. While they may do pretty well (comparitively) in deep mud due to the side lugs, I found that on slick hardpack they were once again horrible. It is my personal opinion that a modern radial M/T will out-perform the Thornbirds in every area other than outward appearance. If that is more important to someone than actual performance, that's fine. I just think people should hear the whole story before going out and paying a lot of money for a product that they may not have any experience with.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

off topic, but like i said to each their own. i read all the reviews and desided to give them a try anyway, so far am not disappointed. But everyone may have a different requirement or scale to measure these tires up to. IMO the do the job i throw at them and look good doing it. its a jeep not a vette all mudding tires suck onroad. its a clear division you pick when u get tires u want on road performance or offroad performance. but i'm not going to change anyones mind here nor am i tring to get anyone to buy them so get what ever you want. i like my choice it works for me...

*jeep wave*
Old 09-21-2007, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default finished wiring it up :)

some asked for full view. so i'm posting a finished pic and before pic too she's come a long way...

before:

after:

Old 09-21-2007, 01:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks Damn Good My Friend Damn Good
Old 09-24-2007, 09:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Great looking Jeep!
Old 04-10-2014, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default Thornbirds are bad ass.I had a set.lasted forever.I had 35 x 14.5 x 15.

damn southside u just stop by here to drop some nastys? insulted my tires and don't like my bumper jeesh...say what u want about the thornbirds u should see the mud i get through with no problem, when others with bfs and procomps etc are framed. i bow to the boggers only in mud thank u.
I had thorbirds .Never had a prob with them.drove through 2 1/2 feet of snow..mud no prob.they ride pretty decent on pavement considering how aggressive they are.I also had set of pro comp mt .thornbirds were better on snow.There are many tires out there that are better for certain terrains,but the thornbirds are pretty versatile considering aggressive look.Sure a strictly mud tire will be better for mud,and yes a strictly street tire will be quieter and smoother on street,but it's pretty good all around tire.although there are some better newer tires....out there it still looks pretty bad ass compared to some of the newer tires.P.S. The red is awsome
Old 04-10-2014, 07:50 PM
JK Junkie

Wow....necro.

Thornbirds are good tires, not great though. I found them lacking in the mud.

On topic for the necro-
The exp dx is super bare bones and now (2014.....7 years after the original post), there are better options.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok. Well I want an update on the Thornbirds now!

It's only been like seven years.

Quick Reply: Installed Expedition One DX!