Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

INSTALLATION OF A TERRAFLEX 2.5 SPRING LIFT (some ideas or issues I had)

Old 05-31-2010, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INSTALLATION OF A TERRAFLEX 2.5 SPRING LIFT (some ideas or issues I had)

Let me first start of by saying I am not a mechanic, however I am pretty good with my hands and not afraid to dive into a project. Here I thought I would share some issues and possible some solutions I encountered installing my 2.5" lift the other day.
First off, it took me a little over 6 hours with one floor jack and two jack stands to do the rear.
It took me a little over 5 hours to complete the front. I think the directions say can be done in 5 to 6 hours.... Screw that, maybe with a team of four, but I did this solo and also a novice.
In the beginning, the terraflex directions tell you to loosen the rear track bar, well it took me awhile to figure out what in the hell a rear track bar was, but i figured it was the bar that follows the rear axle. I also kept reading the directions A LOT to figure out what I was supposed to do next. Then cam time to drill a hole to lower the track bar, well the directions don't really tell you that the extension goes on the passenger rear side. This took me about 20 minutes as I was on the drivers side looking all around and couldn't figure where this dam bracket was supposed to go, I moved over to the drivers side, then after I bit I finally realized where it went. The directions could have at least side move to rear passenger side.
Next came time to install the springs, and as I tried to install the springs and fighting with the springs for about 30 min, a wave of fear crossed my mind as I thought I had to have my jeep towed out of here and take it to the garage. that fear quickly passed, as I realized I could use the Jeeps tire to lay on a 45 degree angle on the ground on one side and have the top part of the tire lay on the disc rotor. Then I laid my body on top of the tire and this gave me enough room to slip the springs in and not enough weight to pull on the brake cable.
I am SO glad I ordered the kit with the shocks. As I was unbolting the top front shock, the threads and nut were so rusted that it snapped as I was unbolting it, rendering the front shock useless, then the same thing happened on the passenger side.
My rear fear however was realized when it was time to install the front spring, HOLY CRAP
this was almost impossible to do. I fought for over 45 minutes to get the front spring in on the drivers side (maybe longer). But, first let me cover how I installed the terraflex bumpstop.
I used a rubber mallet and sat the rubber mallet on the bottom of the axel that the bumpstop hits. I moved my jack stands to the frame of the car and used my jack stand to jack up the driver side axel. with the rubber mallet directly under the bump stop it popped right into place. Then I was able to get the spring in and I left a hole just big enough to get the factory bumpstop inside the spring and then moved the spring in place. Then I used my fingers in between the springs to kind of walk the factory bumpstop up to the terraflex bumpstop and was able to pop it into place.
With the terraflex bumpstop and factory bumpstop in place I couldn't get the new spings in place and I was fighting a loosing battle.
For the passenger side, it was next to impossible to get the spring in with the terraflex bumpstop in place. So I basically used the same method above with the factory bumpstop. I placed the spring in place in the top and sat the lower part on the axel with enough room for me to slip the terraflex bumpstop, I also placed two rubber mallets heads (with out the handles) inside as well and stacked them on top of one another. with them stacked like this It was simple for me to just jack that axle up and pop the terraflex bumpstop into place. then I removed the spring over just a little to let the two rubber mallet heads fall out and put the factory bumpstop in, and walked it up the springs with my fingers and popped it into place.
Now I thought that was pretty ingenious of me, and I think that terraflex should include something like this in with their parts to help make the install MUCH easier.
OH, according to the directions they wanted you to remove your front track bar and something else, but I just loosen those bolts and I was able to get the job done.
Anyway, I thought the directions were decent enough, but their black and white photos are horrible. I also want to thank all of you who have written up there installs as it was a tremendous resource for me installing mine.
I hope to post some pictures by tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

A spring compressor for ~$30 bucks would have made your life a lot easier.

Grab a and enjoy the lift
Old 05-31-2010, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I threw a rough country 4" lift on my TJ when it was about 9 years old. Worst job of my years of tinkering with cars as a hobby. Took FOREVER to break loose the rusted bolts and several snapped requiring a local shops help.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

I found these threads useful when installing my lift:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=teraflex+2.5
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 05-31-2010, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on the spring compressor, I rented one for 9 bucks for the day, it would have cut your time down alot, either way u got it done now wheel it and enjoy it
Old 06-01-2010, 02:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by runit3
A spring compressor for ~$30 bucks would have made your life a lot easier. ...
Originally Posted by Xtreme545
X2 on the spring compressor, I rented one for 9 bucks for the day ..
I have a spring compressor, but found it unnecessary to the same install. There was plenty of flex in the suspension to easily allow installing the TF 2.5" coils. Installing the bumpstops goes a easier with a liberal application of grease--but it's still tough. Once started straight, they can be forced into place by articulating the suspension.

BTW: Back on the spring compressor: I did use it a couple weeks later when installing Rock Krawler wedges to straighten out the rear springs, which were almost contacting my JKS trackbar. The spring compressors were a pain in the rear to get on and remove because of the very limited clearance (can't say for the front, just worked on the rear). I would definitely say if you can avoid using the spring compressor on the rear, do so. A jack pushing on the opposite side of the axle may be useful.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Spring Compressor

I Did go to my local Salvo's to rent a spring compressor and they didn't have any for the size springs I was using. They didn't have any in stock I could buy either. I guess I wasn't too concerned with it at the time because on other writeups I read, only one person used a spring compressor. Oh Well, live and learn I guess. I'm just glad that the job is DONE!
And I had more then I intended

Quick Reply: INSTALLATION OF A TERRAFLEX 2.5 SPRING LIFT (some ideas or issues I had)