Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Inexpensive Winch Bumpers

Old 03-29-2016, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have a Warn stubby winch bumper with the hoop. It was 438 plus tax (free shipping) on Amazon. I think it came to like 470 something. WELL worth every penny and one of the cheaper options out there. The powder coating is high quality, factory fogs fit no worries, mounts for D Rings, integrated Hi Lift jacking points on both sides, and it weights less than 100 pounds; and that's with the loop. I'll try to post picture up in a minute.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not the best picture, but here you go

Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	642132
Old 03-29-2016, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry2153
+1 I agree

+2 ive got one and love it so far
Old 03-29-2016, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dahreno
In case you didn't know, good Jeep parts are expensive, and usually for good reason. When I bought my Bumpers, I bought from dealers that have a high interest in making a great product because their business relies on it. I'm not putting my life on the line because the guy in another country didn't really know how to weld all that great. Just my 2 cents, I will save money to put a good product on my Jeep before buying cheap.
I completely agree! I guess inexpensive was a bad choice of words... Im more looking for "bang for the buck" when it comes to bumpers (and almost everything I buy). I honestly don't think I have to spend 800, 900, or 1000 dollars to have a well made product. The Victory4X4 frame chop bumpers appear to be quality products for under 400 shipped. I guess I'm primarily looking for similarly priced options that are hopefully made here in the US...

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Instead of "cheap", I think what you really mean is a "value" winch bumper.

Here's a few options I think you should consider.

1. Your cheapest option will be having the stock bumper modified with a winch. Look around, there's a few write-ups on this forum on how to do it. Here's what it looks like.

2. Instead of looking for a brand new bumper, start shopping around on Craig's list for something in your area. The nice thing for us "value" shoppers is that people are often "upgrading" their Jeeps which means they're usually trying to get rid of the old stuff. Someone's perceived downgrade, can be your upgrade at a fraction of the price. A used bumper with a fresh coat of rattle can spray can look as good as new. Often if you shop around, you will find people have purchased bumpers with the intent to mount it, but then things happen or they change their mind and they're looking to get rid of it and cut their losses. I've seen brand new in the box Mopar winch mount bumpers on Craig's list for $100. I purchased a used AEV Call of Duty Moab front bumper on Craig's list for $250 which is a $1300 bumper when purchased new. Another member on this forum got the matching AEV Moab rear bumper off the same guy for $120. You might have to be patient, but deals like that do show up on Craig's list.
Value is a good word... I really want to get rid of the plastic bumpers so option 1 isn't really what I'm looking for. I am the king of option #2, there just aren't many good aftermarket options that pop up in my area. I have yet to install a single "NEW" accessory on my Jeep. I do like to be an educated shopper though...
Old 03-29-2016, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pavement ends. Affordable and I have beat the crap out of it and still looks good

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1232803369.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	623.5 KB
ID:	642184
Old 03-29-2016, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sa29560
Have to agree with this. If you plan on ever using a winch to recover your rig, a cheap chinee welded recovery point doesn't have my confidence.

For crash protection steel is steel, for recovery all that stress is on your points, if they fail money saved on a bumper won't replace what could happen.
Have you actually seen one fail during a recovery? You would think. if they are as crappy as you claim there would be something out there to validate your facts... some claims of crappy paint and poor packing, but I have also seen those issues on the high end ones.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerry2153
Have you actually seen one fail during a recovery? You would think. if they are as crappy as you claim there would be something out there to validate your facts... some claims of crappy paint and poor packing, but I have also seen those issues on the high end ones.
As I said, doesn't have my confidence.

When I've got 6000 pounds getting pulled up I need to trust who made my shit. That's just me.

Chances are good a lot of people buying the markdown bumpers are not using them as I use mine. I have seen recovery points on the cheaper brands deform the face but never shear off completely. On a tj and an xj, different brands, same origin. Necessarily meaning the welds were good the thickness was inadequate or not supported enough, maybe?

To each their own, I'll spend double on a quality product made in USA by an American worker. Which deals can still be found but, I don't do Amazon or any of that.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sa29560
As I said, doesn't have my confidence.

When I've got 6000 pounds getting pulled up I need to trust who made my shit. That's just me.

Chances are good a lot of people buying the markdown bumpers are not using them as I use mine. I have seen recovery points on the cheaper brands deform the face but never shear off completely. On a tj and an xj, different brands, same origin. Necessarily meaning the welds were good the thickness was inadequate or not supported enough, maybe?

To each their own, I'll spend double on a quality product made in USA by an American worker. Which deals can still be found but, I don't do Amazon or any of that.
Actually I agree with your point to a certain extent... you gotta trust your stuff based on use and need.... and perhaps those that are pushing the limits are not the ones buying the E autogrills or the Baracade bumpers... thus no failures are showing....
Old 03-29-2016, 08:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Really surprised no one has said Crawler Conceptz. $299 for a front bumper with d-ring tabs, and the option of adding a bar or stinger. Quality wise, it's one of the best. Welds are beautiful, the owner used to work at Poison Spyder, and they're all made right here in the USA.

They ship bare metal, which is great if you wheel your Jeep. Much easier to touch it up after kissing a rock.

Here's a few pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2341832884.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	657.0 KB
ID:	642204   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2932523987.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	471.7 KB
ID:	642206   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-406898938.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	555.1 KB
ID:	642207   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1467194626.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	511.7 KB
ID:	642208  

Last edited by BoraBora; 03-29-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Google: "Bestop Bumper Bending." I had one. Never put a winch on it, because I stumbled across this video right before I got my winch. Went outside to investigate, and found that if I put my hands on the top of the bumper on the back edge of the winch mount location and pulled up against the weight of the jeep I could see the bumper flexing using just my 140 lb. a$$!

This is the kind of thing to keep in mind and avoid when purchasing "value" products when recovery is involved.

I replaced this bumper with an OR-Fab, and have been extremely impressed. I have recovered several vehicles that where buried in mud. Enough of a strain to drag the jeep across the ground with the brakes locked. No flexing wiggle or movement of any kind in my OR-Fab bumper.

Super impressed with their bumper!

Happy Jeeping!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Winch Bumpers