Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Inexpensive roof rack

Old 11-08-2011, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Inexpensive roof rack

I just finished installing a roof rack/cargo basket on my 2010 JKU and have not seen anything like it posted on this forum. I purchased the rack from Discount Ramps online at w ww.discountramps.com for $114.99+shipping and installed it directly on the hard top. I had to drill eight holes in the top and sealed them, at installation, with silocone rubber. I used the mounting hardware that came with the top, but installed it upside down from how it was intended to be used to mount the basket to the rails of an existing SUV rack. I used 14 Hillman H# 881328 rubber stoppers from Lowes to space the rack above the roof and give it some cushion. I used 8 of the stoppers with holes drilled through them with the rack mounting hardware. I then used the other 6 of the stoppers with just a hole in the top between the roof and the rack where the bolts holding the top and bottom of the rack together protruded from the bottom of the rack at the outside edges. Altogether the 14 stoppers between the roof and rack will support a lot of weight. The rack basket is 62.5" X 45" X 6.25" and will carry a lot of camping gear. I purchased a cargo net from Harbor Freight to hold everything in and am ready to go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	roof rack #4.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	234270   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof rack #3.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	234271   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof rack #2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	234272   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof rack #1.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	234273  

Last edited by Robar; 11-08-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Please do not post clickable non-sponsor links
Old 11-08-2011, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! I was thinking of going that route also, but scored a Garvin rack cheap... How's the wind noise?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool. Also like the hood decal
Old 11-08-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OverlandJKU
Nice! I was thinking of going that route also, but scored a Garvin rack cheap... How's the wind noise?
I haven't noticed any wind noise. It has the deflector in the front and that might help.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job and thanks for the write-up

Looking to do the same or similar.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it... any idea how much weight can be put on your top?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Weight

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
I like it... any idea how much weight can be put on your top?
When I first installed the rack I only had the stopper/spacers at the mounting points and it didn't feel like it would support much weight. They are at the second rib in from each side. When I added the six additional supports around the edge it put those contact points at the first rib, near the sides, and at the very back of the top where it is really solid. I don't intend to put real heavy items up there, but feel confident that it will support extra fuel at the very back, where it has the most support, and a bunch of camping gear on the rest of the rack. The ARB rack with the tent mounts directly to the top, I think, but I haven't been able to find any information on just how it attaches. The only concern I have with my set up is if there would every be any upword force on the rack it could pull the mount knobs through the top. I can't see how that could ever happen, except in the case of a roll-over, and then the top is going to be damaged anyway.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive roof rack