Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

I should of bought an FJ

Old 04-14-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
Lmfao at the part when they say its better off road then a wrangler
Yeah they weren't on the wheeling trip where me in my brand new stock Rubi crawled right up a section where the modded FJ damn near went over backwards because of its limited flex and independent front suspension. I guess if I wanted to run over bumps in a park, not see the door latch from the inside, or not remove my carpet I should have bought an FJ...haha. Also you have to pay for an extra windshield wiper blade when replacing them because they have 3 up front. There goes all the money you save from the 2 extra MPG. They should have mentioned that as a standard feature..haha.

Last edited by jesse0920; 04-14-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpkjk
I wonder how much Toyota paid them for the review? They need to do a driving review with the top off and tell people how fun it is. Oh yea they can't cause fjs top dosent come off.
Sure it does. Did you know the top on a 92' Toyota Camry comes off? 18V cordless sawzall. Some friends' sons we sold my wife's old car to did it and called it the Cam-vertable. . I'm the FJ's top can be removed in a similar fashion. Just not sure how much road noise it would isolate after the fact...
Old 04-14-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a significant amount of research on the FJ over two and a half years when they first came out. The first two years production had frame problems. Up front in the engine compartment the frame area supporting the fender would actually split or what they called it at that time a frame rip. Toyota would fix some but not all of them under warranty. Around 2008 - 2009 the factory finally came up with a reliable fix. Do a Google search on Toyota FJ Cruisers frame rips, be prepared to read for a few days.

With further research I uncovered another fault, the throw out bearing housings on all the 6 speed manuals would slowly self-destruct. Over a short period of time it would lead to bell housing damage. This was still happening as late as the 2011 models. I gave up on ever buying a FJ at that point. I waited 6 -8 months because of the pending Pentastar install in the Wrangler; pulled the trigger in November 2011 with a factory ordered Rubicon and never looked back.

FJs are for the wanna be's. That video extolling the virtues of the plush interior and quiet ride are for girly men out there. My 2012 Rubicon is plenty quiet with the Freedom top. I also have a 4.10 ratio transfer case; the FJ's is much higher. The Pentastar Wranglers will absolutely smoke any FJ out there with comparable fuel MPG. I also don't like the reduced rearward visibilty in the FJ.

I'll be surprised if the FJ is even being produced 10 years from now. Actually make that 5 years.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I can't stop looking at that damn rear latch from the inside. Haha. If they think the 2011 Wrangler interior is bad... tell them to check out my 2008!

I like my Jeep simply because I can mod it the way I want to and I really do have a unique vehicle different than anyone else. All the FJs I see look the same. Plus my Jeep was way less money than a Toyota FJ and it can take me anywhere I want to go.

But it's like Coke and Pepsi, Republicans and Democrats, Ford and Chevy... everyone has their opinions and personal bias.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

The FJ target market is daily-driver car owners, not off-roaders. That's ok I guess.

But the bottom line is if you're serious about wheeling and are dumb enough to be swayed by that video, you deserve to buy the FJ.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jeeps have been around for how long? They'll be around long after I'm gone. I sincerely doubt the FJs will be still with us.

Toyota had a golden opportunity to create a perfect Jeep competitor. No other car manufacturer has done it up to this point in time. Toyota has very deep pockets with state of the art technology. They simply flat out blew it. They didn't create a vehicle for the enthusiast like all of us, they created a soccer mom carry all.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Even as somebody who is a ToyFan, the FJ is not anywhere near the level of capability of even the most mundane Wrangler. I think those two idiots drove the short bus into work that morning or they are on the take.

Nothing, seriously nothing can match a Wrangler of any era off road short of a motorcycle or goat or perhaps a mountain trained burrow. What the hell are those tards talking about, FJ is better off road! They also must not have noticed the Wrangler is a convertible and the carpet is intentionally not glued in and that the doors come off the vehicle.

I have owned and still own a Toyota Tacoma and owned a wonderful HiLux before and I have to say that Toyota is still the top in reliability and kitchen appliance level reliability but they are not what they used to be, too soft, too much carpet, not enough ruggedness and where is the diesel (same for Jeep on the diesel)?

Last edited by 3X4X4; 04-14-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Speaking about fit and finish of the interior, I would much prefer the refined 2011 that's a little rough around the edges (visible door latch) than the clunky cheap plastic interior of the FJ.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:15 PM
JK Super Freak

I think the uploader name alone says it all..... "sellingtoyotas"
Old 04-14-2012, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedOffRoad
I think the uploader name alone says it all..... "sellingtoyotas"
Its funny too because the video desciption says

Sorry this video will tick off so many people. This is just a training video and I agree with many of your comments. I will say this I have been off road with both vehicles. The jeep is an excellent off roader and so is the FJ they each have their areas of excellence. But hey it is fun to see the hate mail. Sorry to upset anyone, this is what what Toyota uses to train salespeople, and it just goes to show you why when you go into some dealerships your run into some people with unrealistic expectations. Have fun with it.

Quick Reply: I should of bought an FJ